1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devin Hester: Holding out and highly quotable

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jul 23, 2008.

1. And isn't Kevin Jones their best option at RB?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

God I hope not. I think the Forte kid will be the starter by the end of the season.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

They got two years on the exceptional cheap with a slotted contract.

Now, pay the guy.

But certainly mention the fucking fumbles.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He IS the greatest kick/punt returner I've ever seen.

It DID NOT MATTER last season when all his production helped the Bears to a 7-9 record.

Pay him more than $400-oddK. Don't break the bank for him.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The mess in Chicago gets messier.

First, the Bears have to placate Lance Briggs. In turn, that pisses off Brian Urlacher. Then, not addressing the QB situation, which will probably haunt them. Then they dump Muhsin Muhammad (gauging his performance on that crappy QB situation ... laughable. But thanks ... he'll do well again in Charlotte).

Then, Devin Hester. I think Hester is largely right, but STFU and let Bears management twist in the wind. Even Hester's critics have a hard time getting too upset at him for not being willing to play for $445K or whatever it is ... he has outperformed that deal. But don't dig what's already a pretty big hole even deeper.

He'll be worth a big raise. Even if teams avoid him and kick the ball out of bounds, that offense needs every bit of field position help it gets.

6. And now Westbrook wants Tomlinson money in Philly. Fucking great.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Size doesn't stop Smith out in Carolina, and apparently Hester's receiving skills are coming around. Don't pay him top end money by any stretch, because he's not Smith yet. But for God's sake, keep your only scoring threat happy. He's the only reason they didn't start inside their own 20 on every drive last year. at least with him they have the jope of working their way into field goal range with a prolonged 35 yard drive.

8. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I loved the quote. There aren't enough guys who don't hide behind agents and speak for themselves.

9. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Hester is the best of his era.

If he's not, it's because he's not the greatest kick returner in Bears history. Gale Sayers was an incredible KOR, too. It's too bad injuries cut his career short.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Return guys, no matter how good have a way of flaming out early. Quick ... where's Dante Hall?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Make that three things on which we agree.

I woudln't even use Hall as an example, though...it took him til his third year to really do anything.

Even if he doesn't flame out, it's easy enough for teams to, you know, AVOID KICKING TO HIM. And, again, it's the old Branch Rickey theorem. Their offense will suck with or without him and they'll go 6-10 whether or not he's giving them decent field position.

You want to make the big money? Catch some fucking passes instead of being a freak show who occassionally breaks a play when he lines up wide.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Hester caught 20 passes last year, BYH. Which is more than Mush Muhammad will catch in Carolina in 2008. Book it.

Draft saved Draft deleted