1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Devin Hester, a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The Steve Tasker to the Hall is Peter King trying to be a contrarian and expert on talent. This is the same moron who pounded the drumbeat against Art Monk. Was Tasker that much better than Larry Izzo?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If special teams were that important, North Texas would be NCAA champions five times over.

3. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Yes, but part of our job is to see through clichés and that is pretty clearly a cliché.

4. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

And now I want ice cream.

5. dpfunk78

dpfunk78 Guest

I understand the field position argument, but how many walls did Tasker blow up on kickoff teams? How many times did he pin a team back with a great open-field tackle on a kickoff or a punt?

Hester almost certainly has more impact on a game, but Tasker was the best ever at what he did, too. He just didn't have his name in lights every night. And they were both special teams players, first and foremost. Why is the comparison of the best ever at one aspect of special teams to the best ever at another so absurd?

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I always thought Donald Igwebuike was underrated.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Does this mean Patrick Mannelly won't make it to Canton?

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Lorenzo Alexander, Hall of Famer!!! YES!!!!

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

And Elbert Shelley.

It's funny this came up, because when I heard Hester had returned a punt for a TD yesterday, I had two immediate thoughts:

1. Why on earth would anyone EVER punt the ball to Devin Hester? The sideline is there for a reason.

2. That guy belongs in the Hall of Fame.

10. J Staley

J Staley Member

No doubt that Tasker was great at what he did, but I don't think opposing teams went out of their way to avoid letting him make a play, like they do Hester. I think that's significant.

My gut tell me Hester is a HOF player, but the hang up I have is that many special teams players aren't the best on the team. Special teams are often made up of specialty players, and those trying to prove themselves.

Does anybody else think this makes a difference? Would guys like Hester and maybe Tasker shine on special teams if the best players were on special teams, rather than the backups and rookies?

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I loved Billy White Shoes and the Funky Chicken:

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Wasn't Hester a second-round pick? That at least is some indication that he actually is a savant at what he does, and not just the world's tallest midget.

For those who missed the game yesterday, he also had a long kickoff return deep into Carolina territory.

Draft saved Draft deleted