1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DEVELOPING: S.Korean ship sinking, torpedo by North suspected

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Colonel Angus, Mar 26, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

So we can assume you are less than 9 years old

2. mb

mb Active Member

Aside from the last time there was a dustup in this same spot ... and the time before that ... no, I can't ever remember anything like it.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

This. I mean, Jesus Christ.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

In Angus' defense, maybe he was specifically addressing toddler-age residents of North and South Korea.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

War is the health of the state.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They're much closer to starving to death than to revolting against the government.

8. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

S.Korean ship sinks after explosion, officials back off attack suspicion

They appear to be backing off the torpedo attack idea now. May have blown up on its own. Sue me.

Yes, I am older than 9. I forgot the incident in 2002 when a North Korean vessel was sunk killing an untold number of North Koreans [per Wikipedia], and I was only two when North Korean commandos landed in South Korea and over 100 were killed. But if it is an attack -- and I understand nobody's saying anything definitive at this point -- it ranks right up there in scale, at least according to the Wikipedia page I read. I haven't had time to exhaustively research anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_border_incidents_involving_North_Korea

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If you were talking SKorea-NKorea only, fine.

But "anything of this magnitude" pretty much would be shouted down by ANYONE who lived through 9-11.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or the Cuban Missile Crisis, when the USSR and USA were minutes away from lobbing nukes at each other.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Yeah, that was way before my time. Guessing also before his.

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The Axe Murder:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axe_Murder_Incident#cite_ref-2koreas_0-3

The "Ax Murder Incident" led to one of the largest military build-ups on the peninsula by the United States since the end of the Korean War in 1953, and brought the peninsula to the brink of another war.

In the days that followed, the United States sent the aircraft carrier USS Midway to the waters off the Koreas, fighter jets and bombers were sent to South Korea from bases in Okinawa and the United States, and troops throughout the region were put on alert.

http://www.stripes.com/01/aug01/ed081801c.html

Draft saved Draft deleted