1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit newspapers losing "daily" tag?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mitch cumstein, Dec 11, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Exactly right Pete. If this happens I am making sure everyone I know cancels. It will already be too late to save everyone's job.

And I for one will not pay for a subscription for a paper that used to come to me every day. But now won't.

I've said this before and I will say it again, my parents don't read the paper online, my grandparents and my great aunt and uncle don't either. Truck drivers don't read it online, line workers don't read it online — they read it with their coffee on break, or at the breakfast table. There are so many people who still don't read it online. Why take that away.

Way to alienate all your subscribers and tell them they aren't worth it.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

More speculation here ...

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com/2008/12/motown-project-griffin-and-that-secret.html

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Fuck speculation, I followed the link on the Gannett blog and found this.

https://ecm-c-mass2one.leepfrog.com/detroitpress/newfod/fpnewfod.cfm?ccode=pm

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Holy shit.

Good find, mustang.

This is mind-boggling.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This would mean Wayne County, the county with the largest population in Michigan would not have a daily newspaper. (Unless the News stays untouched)

Oakland County would still have the Oakland Press and the Macomb Daily would be there for the Macomb residents. Maybe JRC should send Gannett a nice little holiday fruit basket.

6. Yes, that is the word on the street...

7. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This is unbelievable.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I will have to call and cancel my subscription and order the News. There's something I never thought I would say.

9. "There's even a quaintly bizarre twist to all this; according to a knowledgeable source, the internal code word for all this is "Project Griffon." According to the source, someone in high authority apparently thought that was the name of the ship Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac arrived in when he discovered Detroit on July 24, 1701.
    That's a little hard to believe, since a glance at any standard history would show Old Caddy arrived in a canoe. A French ship named the Griffon, however, was the first full-sized sailing ship on the Great Lakes. It set sail Sept. 18, 1679 ... and promptly vanished..."

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Mustang:

What makes you think the News won't do the same thing?

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Nothing. Can't be certain about anything. Although I read in the Gannett blog that the News gets 4 million in 2009 just for being part of the JOA.

"Under the terms of the Detroit JOA, MediaNews is 'reimbursed for its news and editorial costs associated with publishing The Detroit News,' and if the JOA is profitable, it also receives a 'fixed preferred distribution' set at $4 million for 2008 and 2009, and declining in later years."

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wonderful Gannett... making things disappear for 380 years

Draft saved Draft deleted