1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit meltdown thread: McThug gets 28 years in PMITA prison

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Re: Hey Mr. Mayor, about that affair you testified you didn't have...

Did he die or something?

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This guy got elected twice.

Only in Michigan, where we also elected a worthless governor named Granholm twice.

This is post 1,500 for me, so I'm off to have a Manhattan. Cheers. :)

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hmmm, I've heard that...

Did you go to school with Kwame and Christine too?

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This may sound wild, but I'm serious about it. Should the paper consider printing the full text of some sexually explicit messages on its Web site? (With a disclaimer page as a prelude to the page with the messages.) Here's why I ask: The lead of the story says the two "lied" and perhaps perjured themselves when they claimed they hadn't had a sexual relationship. Is it really so egregious to print something like, for example, "I want to (expletive) you" if such a message provides on-point proof of the lying and the affair?

5. Jemele Hill

Jemele Hill Member

As a native Detroit, let me say that I don't feel one ounce of sympathy for the citizens of my great city. They elected this fool, and got what they've deserved. For those who watch The Wire, Kwame is Clay Davis. In fact, I predict he'll go right to the Clay Davis handbook to get out of this.

For one, I don't expect the prosecutor to have the guts to come after Kwame for perjury because despite the disgrace Kwame has brought to the city, the majority of Detroiters continue to support him. That's why, despite all this evidence, most of the local politicos are being very careful about what they say. They don't want to alienate the Detroit vote. And since the prosecutor is up for re-election, she certainly doesn't want to alienate the constituency.

So, I expect Kwame to throw himself on everyone's mercy, say a few hymns, hug his wife real tight, and go back to business as usual: Ripping off the city. Detroit is Baltimore. Baltimore is D.C, which is Atlanta. This is Marion Berry all over again. Sadly, black voters in cities like Detroit allow themselves to be preyed upon by jerks like Kwame because they are so caught up in the racial politics, they fail to see their city's demise.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

However, the State Attorney General can also bring charges -- doubtful, since he's also a product of the Ed McNamara machine even tho he's a Republican, but possible.

7. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Too bad I didn't go into law and be a DA. I wouldn't give a damn about how many votes I need for re-election. I'm taking that frat-boy/don't want to grow up/as bad as I wanna be mayor down and going for a knockout in the courtroom.
    Jemele, let me ask a question: as a native of a large metropolis, do you think that some or a sizable number of African-American leaders giving their peers a bad name for conducting themselves like morons?

And, let me spare Fen from adding a Bush reference: "You have to be a dumb m-f to get elected twice. Oh wait, this country did."

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Jemele hit the nail squarely. Detroit is in a morass of its own making, and it only will elevate itself from that morass when its residents choose to elect someone competent to lead the city.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Update:
    The chief of staff quits this morning...

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080128/NEWS01/80128035&theme=KILPATRICK012008

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Earlier tonight, he offers an apology on live TV, with the wife by his side. No wonder why he was "sneaking around" with his ex-Chief of Staff

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=NEWS&template=front

And, his new Chief of Staff is...(surprise) one of his buddies, with his own baggage.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080130/NEWS01/801300419&theme=KILPATRICK012008

I don't think he'll ever get it.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He apologized tonight, but never said why he was apologizing... amazing, yet it isn't

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He apologized tonight, but never said why he was apologizing... amazing, yet it isn't
    You can't rag on his wife when he was fooling around with a woman in desperate need of a sugar cube and a carrot.

Draft saved Draft deleted