1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit in Ruins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jan 3, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A photo essay:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/gallery/2011/jan/02/photography-detroit#/?picture=370173054&index=0

15 more photos like this one:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is that one of those 3D posters that, if you stare at it long enough, an image pops out?
    Gotta be either that or one of those M.C. Escher posters you buy in a college bookstore your freshman year and hang on your dorm room wall.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

These pictures make me almost physically ill. Looking at all the artifacts left behind in the abandonment. The books, the chandelier, the upended grand piano.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There's a cult of people who photograph ruins in once-great cities. Mezmerizing, sad stuff. And a pretty dangerous hobby given the condition of all those buildings.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I watched the Kite Runner on Netflix last night.

I was thinking about how sad it must have been for people to have to abandon their city and know that it had fallen into disrepair.

Then I look at this and think about my mother & her family who are from Detroit and think how sad it must be for them.

It looks like something post apocalyptic.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wonder if it's worse in other large Rust Belt cities?

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The only place that leaps to mind is Gary, Indiana.

Bigger cities like Cleveland & Pittsburgh have done a pretty good job remaking themselves. Detroit just seems to be rotting away at it's core and not enough people seem to care.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Somebody like JR would remember this...remember the urban prairies we linked here years ago?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aMV8_J49diKs

This may or may not have been the same link...

Very interesting stuff. Sad.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've seen a few other sites about ruins of Detroit and other places. There was one of Tiger Stadium before it got demolished.

Very sad to see. Too bad they can't be restored.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Six years old, a friend's mom took us to see Dr. Dolittle for her son's birthday party. Found the first crush of my life in that movie with Samantha Eggar -- all in that very balcony.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

BookTV interviewed a photojournalist on this very subject a few months ago. Fascinating and sad at the same time.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Just saw a TV report that some company had relocated to Detroit and was adding 3500 or so jobs, and that another company had just expanded its hiring there.

It's not rocket science. It takes jobs to rebuild the Rustbelt. Buffalo, Erie, Detroit, Cleveland have lots of cheap water and cheap land. I know there's more to it than that, but those places have the use the assets they have to actract business.

Draft saved Draft deleted