1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Detroit: America's Most Dangerous City

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Sxysprtswrtr, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

By DAVID N. GOODMAN
    Associated Press
    DETROIT (AP) – In another blow to the Motor City’s tarnished image, Detroit pushed past St. Louis to become the nation’s most dangerous city, according to a private research group’s controversial analysis, released Sunday, of annual FBI crime statistics.
    The study drew harsh criticism even before it came out. The American Society of Criminology launched a pre-emptive strike Friday, issuing a statement attacking it as “an irresponsible misuse” of crime data.
    The 14th annual “City Crime Rankings: Crime in Metropolitan America” was published by CQ Press, a unit of Congressional Quarterly Inc. It is based on the FBI’s Sept. 24 crime statistics report.
    The report looked at 378 cities with at least 75,000 people based on per-capita rates for homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary and auto theft. Each crime category was considered separately and weighted based on its seriousness, CQ Press said.
    Last year’s crime leader, St. Louis, fell to No. 2. Another Michigan city, Flint, ranked third, followed by Oakland Calif.; Camden, N.J.; Birmingham, Ala.; North Charleston, S.C.; Memphis, Tenn.; Richmond, Calif.; and Cleveland.
    The study ranked Mission Viejo, Calif., as the safest U.S. city, followed by Clarkstown, N.Y.; Brick Township, N.J.; Amherst, N.Y.; and Sugar Land, Texas.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Dog bites man.

3. How the hell is Baltimore not on that list? I think we've had more murders than days.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No love for the chocolate city?

5. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

I thought that was the slogan for the Detroit Visitors Bureau's new marketing push before I clicked on the thread.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Only in Detroit.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Detroit: It's not a misspelling if you call us Detriot.

8. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Didn't the Tigers have that mishap a few years back with some of their jerseys. I think it was at a Boston game or something.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Final Four 2009: You May Live Through It!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Awesome.

Detroit: Tons Of Fun And No Tigers Titles In 25 Years. Imagine What We'll Do If They Finally Win The Series!

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's the only reason I opened this site. Thanks a bunch, pal.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

It's 23, asshole! :D

Wait, I shouldn't smile about that. :'(

Draft saved Draft deleted