1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Desktop computer a failure -- Hewlett-Packard to lay off 27,000

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 23, 2012.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I know exactly one person that's purchased a desktop computer in the past five years, and it was an iMac. I don't really understand why anyone, short of hardcore gamers, would buy a desktop for personal use.

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Mine was neither. It just started running like a 10-year-old computer about 6 months after purchase.

3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I just bought an all-in-one deal, which happens to be HP, although I don't know if those technically count as desktops any more. It replaced a nearly 6-year-old desk top that just couldn't do squat any more. I just like the feel of a real keyboard and monitor. I do like the advancement to the all-in-one. Saves tons of space and no stupid knot of wires.

I live in a town where I'm pretty sure HP is one of the top three employers if not top two (I know they aren't No. 1). One of our friends works there and was asked about the pending layoffs. She said she wasn't as worried about being laid off as she was about having to do the work of the people who are laid off. I thought that was an interesting take on the possibility of being canned.

Draft saved Draft deleted