1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Desk Editor, Abu Dhabi

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Jan 3, 2011.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Besides the pay and benefits, the best reason to work here: Chuck Culpepper is the lead sports columnist for The National in Abu Dhabi.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

SHUT UP! Seriously? God, I really haven't talked to him in a while, apparently.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think he's been there less than six months. But he's definitely there.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

A hire is forthcoming, I am told. And sadly, it is not me.

5. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

They have any sports besides soccer there? No booze, that's another downer.

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Still, I woulda killed for this job. Disappointed to say the least.

7. Giggity

Giggity Member

Cricket, motor sports, tennis, horse racing … lots of stuff like that. F1 has its championship race there. There's a steady flow of exhibitions and big-money golf events. UFC staged an event in the UAE in the last year or two.

And booze aren't an issue – expatriates can get a license to purchase alcohol. The only real catch is that the only places that can serve are located in hotels, though there are enough hotels it's not really a problem.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

^

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

They are hosting a European PGA Tour event this week with a lot of top players.

10. Sharkmc

Sharkmc New Member

I received a nice e-mail from the Robert Mashburn informing me they had two solid candidates and, sadly, I was not one of them. It sounds like a hire will happen soon. I was pleased to hear back from him because so many times you hear nothing when applying for a job. I'd go in a minute if given the chance, and I'm hoping they add some new sports writers in the future.

11. I received the same email as well. I'd still jump at the chance if an opening ever presented itself.

12. nmsports

nmsports Member

Echo the last two posts.

Draft saved Draft deleted