1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Desire to seek apology from player's parents

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Maybe, but there's a right way and a wrong way to handle things. And I'm not eating shit sandwiches for the next 30 years. That I can promise you.

2. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Again, had the parents come to me with level heads. I would have run the whole roundup bit over again. I've done it before.

But when you go above my head before even contacting me first, telling me how shitty of a job I'm doing, don't think I won't remember. I can be one bitter fuck.

OK, enough ranting about something that didn't even happen to me. :)

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

People really don't understand the pressure to be perfect every day with only minutes to work with. Sometimes, mistakes happen. And there's always that asshole coach, you know the one who calls in his game with five minutes left to deadline, who thinks you did it intentionally.

4. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Wait, you've run an entire story over again due to a small mistake in it? Your duty is to all your readers and not to one set of upset parents. Running a whole story over again serves no purpose for all but that set of parents.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Not really a whole story. We get 30-40 youth soccer games that we put in our paper every week. Each one is three sentences, and we lump them all together during the course of 2-3 days. Maybe 30 inches a day near the bottom of the page. If one of those games runs twice, but it makes a parent happy, great. Nobody would ever notice.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Clearly, Mr. X needs a break.

Maybe he should go for a ride in a car.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always thought newspapers should invite guests into the newsroom to gain a better appreciation of the process. I figure if coaches, parents and players witnessed the chaos of a Friday night, they might have more respect for reporters.

Most visitors I've talked to are surprised the technology is so dated, the workload is as staggering and it's not anything like newsrooms they see on TV where journos have all the time in the world to plot romantic endeavors, write a page 1 expose and dream up biting witticisms all at the same time.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I wasted a perfectly good mouthful of Jack Daniel's on that spittake.

9. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

This is the worst, most unprofessional advice on this thread. If you let your personal feelings toward parents influence your choices on how you cover a team/person, you need to get out of journalism. It doesn't serve your readers and undermines your credibility.

Brush it off, Mr. X. As many have said, if this is the worst you run into, you'll have a blessed work life. If you can't handle this, you may want to reconsider your career.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

What the fuck is wrong with you Mr. X?? Are you fucking shitting me?

You are going to keep the kid's name out of the paper because YOU fucked up?? You want the Parents to apologize because they pissed in your pot and didn't flush???? Fuck you man.

You've been in this business 13 years? Bull-fucking-Shit! That's rookie crybaby reaction.

Here's a piece of advice you little turd smoker: Grow some thick skin, or get the fuck out of journalism. Dickwad.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Most delusional occupations:

1) Prostitute
    2) Journalist
    3) Movie star

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Reached later by phone, Mr. Holliday said his remarks were taken out of context.

Draft saved Draft deleted