1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer, The News-Press in Fort Myers, FL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by EdReed, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Good for you. I'm glad I don't work at your paper, wherever that is. Of course, you're the guy who said my (former) paper sucks because it didn't rip up its front for Buehrle's no-hitter, which ended after deadline. ::)

2. pallister

pallister Guest

With one exception, every desker in sports and news at my shop does varying degrees of designing and editing.

3. david kaye

david kaye Member

Doc is correct.

And I believe Ed forgot about me. ::)

So you can make that five people who design/copy edit and two who strictly copy edit.

By the way, sportschick, that bribe still stands.

4. david kaye

david kaye Member

And she says plenty of good things about you.

5. Y'all the ones with the mojos right? How long until you guys sublet your building and just design from your cars?

6. david kaye

david kaye Member

What do the mojos have to do with designing the sports section?

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

David ... Ed ... if I were to come on down, I wouldn't be living on Sanibel, would I?

8. david kaye

david kaye Member

If you can afford to live on Sanibel, I might be hitting you up for a loan.

9. EdReed

EdReed Member

Shoot,
    I can't afford the $6 bridge toll to get to Sanibel.

And Dave, I didn't forget about you. For those who don't know, Dave is the assistant sports editor/nights. I used to be the assistant sports editor/days, until I was promoted and my old job went the way of the dinosaur. But they are letting us replace an extremely skilled designer who I wish was not leaving. And of the remaining designers, three copy edit/write headlines. The one who is leaving did not. She was strictly a designer, but I'd love to have a mult-tasking type person. And make sure your car has a strong battery. You're going to need a place to plug in your laptop when you start your design shifts.

10. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

The toll is worth it just for a trip to The Bubble Room. ... I haven't had their red velvet cake in years. Damn, I miss that place.

11. david kaye

david kaye Member

The Bubble Room is fabulous.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I spent a week on Sanibel in March. I could most definitely spend the rest of my days there ... if only for the dining.

Draft saved Draft deleted