1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer, Little Rock, Ark.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in Little Rock, Arkansas has an opening for a Sports Page Designer

Description: With limited supervision, produce quality page designs, including graphics and illustrations; coordinates with section editors in planning the design of future sections; meet assigned deadlines; maintains working knowledge of newspaper design and other journalistic trends; perform other duties as assigned.

Experience: Three years daily newspaper design experience. Specific experience with newspaper design programs.

Education: College degree with major/minor combination (either grouping) of journalism and art design is desired. Demonstrated ability and portfolio may be considered in lieu of college degree.

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette Personnel Department is located at the corner of Capitol Avenue and Scott Street in Little Rock. Applicants may apply in person Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., unless otherwise stated. Applications must be completed in our office, and are considered active for 30 days. Job descriptions are available during applicant time. Applications are also taken at the 4th and Byrd Production facility for Laborer/Pressroom positions only and at 800 N. Reservoir Road, Suite C in Little Rock, for Telemarketing positions.

Inquiries should be directed to our email address, HRjobs@ardemgaz.com or to our Personnel Department telephone number, (501) 378-3837. Our Job Line number is (501) 399-3607.

You may attach your resumé to an email as long as it is in one of the following formats: Microsoft Word document, RTF (rich text format), plain text document, and Macintosh document (please save Mac documents in either RTF or plain text format). We prefer Microsoft Word documents formatted for the PC. Also, resumés may be mailed to:

Arkansas Democrat-Gazette
    Attn: Personnel
    P.O. Box 2221
    Little Rock, AR 72203-2221
    The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Substance abuse tests are required for safety sensitive positions.

2. Minotauro

Minotauro Member

Application must be completed in the office in Little Rock? And people thought that job in upstate NY which said NY and Mass residents only was restricting its applicant pool.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ya, I gotta admit that's a bit confusing. Still, the Dem-Gazette is a pretty solid paper, perhaps the best in that region. I was quite impressed when I went through there in the spring and picked up a couple copies.

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Ah, they probably just make the candidates fill out a job application when they bring 'em in for the interview. Hell, I worked at one rag where I filled out my job application my first day there.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Their coverage is very good but they have basically had two minor design tweaks since the original Democrat went AM in 1979. They have some quirky style things that don't agree with me.

BTW, this is one to jump on. Rarely does the DOG advertise sports openings.

6. Slash

Slash Member

Who’s leaving?

7. lurking

lurking New Member

A designer transferred to another department

8. Luke_Knox

Luke_Knox New Member

Interesting to see an opening there, since they don't advertise often (as previously stated).

And it's even hard to find many examples online of their sports design work ... only stuff I could find is a few years old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. zman82

zman82 Member

ok, it's late and i'm totally confused after reading this thread. is this place still hiring or did they fill the spot internally? please pardon my stupity at this time.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

ummm, go to arkansasonline.com and click on the enhanced edition.
    the democrat is one of the few papers in the country that does an e-paper.
    or where the entire paper is viewable as it was laid out. the image of the paper pops up and you click on the article to read it, but youhave to be a subscriber.
    it is a little trick where you can count online subscribers as print subscribers, per the ABC's rule regarding e-papers.
    You can look at a week's worth, but be prepared it is like going back in time. The whole paper looks it was designed in the '80s and hasn't changed since.

11. lurking

lurking New Member

there is still an opening. I would dare say the sports section looks quite a bit more modern than some other parts of the paper.

Draft saved Draft deleted