1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer/copy editor, Macon Telegraph

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Daniel Shirley, Jul 4, 2006.

1.  The Macon (Ga.) Telegraph, a 59,000 daily, 78,000 Sunday newspaper owned by McClatchy seeks a designer/copy editor for its sports section. Central duties are design and production of the sports front 3-4 nights a week and inside pages the other days to meet multiple deadlines. The sports staff's two designers also work with the newspaper's special projects editor on production of sports special sections and a weekly preview during college football season. Candidates should have a knowledge of fundamental design principles using DTI or Quark as well as Photoshop, and possess a strong background in copy editing, and headline and cutline writing. The ability to quickly identify supportive material in stories or from other sources for breakouts to enhance presentation also is essential. Experience at a daily newspaper is preferred, but college experience that includes a desk internship with a daily is acceptable. A resume and design samples should be e-mailed to Rick Nolte, Sports editor at rnolte@macontel.com or mailed to 120 Broadway, Macon, GA., 31201.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Have they made your announcement official yet or are they still letting everyone find out via this site?

This is my old job, fwiw, pm me with any questions.

3. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

Heard that they've brought some folks in to interview for this one.

4. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Wow, 78,000 on Sundays? I worked there now more than a decade ago and Sunday circ was 100,000. Daily was 75K.

Nonetheless, I have heard good things about Nolte and saw a paper three years back and really liked what they were doing. A lot more space on Sundays to work with than what we had.

Whatever happened to preps stud Chris Hughes? Great guy.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

What happened to Mike Lough? He was the sports editor there when I saw that paper 5-6 years ago....I used to work with him back in the day.

6. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

he's still there. He writes a column a few days week in the sports section.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I don't think Lough was ever SE. he was ASE for awhile, but they decided to make him the columnist.

chris hughes left the paper several years ago. pm me if you want more.

Draft saved Draft deleted