1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer/copy editor, Bryan, Tx.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Bryan-College Station Eagle is looking for a full-time copy editor to join the sports desk.

The Eagle's sports department is committed to extensive coverage of Texas A&M, Bryan High School, A&M Consolidated High School and Rudder High School, plus additional coverage of area high school teams. The copy editor's daily duties include editing local copy, selecting and editing wire stories and photos, headline writing, page design and layout (including the sports front), proofing pages and posting content to The Eagle's sports websites, AggieSports.com (Texas A&M/Big 12 Conference) and BrazosSports.com (high schools). The copy editor will also be expected to maintain a blog.

Ability to handle nightly deadlines efficiently and accurately is a must. Familiarity with QuarkXPress and Photoshop is preferred.

In addition, the successful candidate will be responsible for the copy editing, photo editing, layout and design of The Eagle's season preview sections (high school football, college football and college basketball).

The Bryan-College Station Eagle is an award-winning Texas daily newspaper headquartered in an area that's 90 miles from both Austin and Houston.

We highly value our community and our employees, who are compensated with good benefits and competitive pay. Send cover letter, pages you've designed and resume to Editor Kelly Brown, 1729 Briarcrest Drive, Bryan, Texas 77802, or e-mail her at kelly.brown@theeagle.com.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re: Designer/copoy editor, Bryan, Tx.

I've always wanted to be a copoy editor

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Re: Designer/copoy editor, Bryan, Tx.

Dude, time to grow up. It's a mistake that has been fixed.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Dude, time to lighten up. Don't come on here telling me to grow up. I jerk everyone's chain over shit like that (including my own). You don't like it? Stay away. Don't call me dude and don't tell me to grow up. Dig, dude?

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Evidently, you can't stand it when your chain is jerked. It's your world and you get the last word. Have a good one.
    Guys and gals, this is a good gig that should get a lot resumes.

6. dm19

dm19 Member

There's a good chance no one on here has had their chain jerked in a long time.

7. Anyone know anything about this? I'd assumed they'd have filled the position by now but someone told me last weekend that they may not have.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I gotta say, Drip, jerkin' Moddy's chain ain't the right play.

9. esport12

esport12 Member

well, i know a lot of folks in the sports department there, and most have been there at least 10 years or more. And they're all good guys. not sure about the company or the paper situation, but i always thought they did a good job with preps in a college town (while, of course, covering the heck out of the Aggies). Plus, College Station can be a lot of fun (a bit more conservative than your typical college town, not that that's a bad thing, just a trait i'm pointing out) and Austin and Houston are easy trips.

10. The Davo

The Davo New Member

I believe they filled this one in-house. For the record, it is a very good department, though they have had some turnover in the past three years. Most of the staff has been there for a while now, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted