1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer/copy editor, Boise, Idaho

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Apr 4, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Idaho Statesman, a McClatchy-owned newspaper in the state capital of Boise, is seeking an experienced page designer/copy editor for its sports section.

Most important quality: Someone who is passionate about newspapers. In addition to that, we're looking for someone with daily deadline experience who can design the cover, slot the section, work inside pages, see the big picture and pay attention to small details.

We want a creative leader (two very important words in this job search) who can make a difference in a sports section that recently was honored by APSE for its work in Sunday sections, daily sections and special sections. QuarkXPress and Photoshop experience is a plus, but not mandatory.

Send short cover letter, resume, references, and tear sheets to:

mprater@idahostatesman.com

Or by mail to:

Mike Prater
    Sports Editor
    Idaho Statesman
    1200 N. Curtis
    P.O. Box 40
    Boise, ID 83706

2. wlat2

wlat2 New Member

Feel free to PM me with questions.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Pretty good paper in a very cool city. There are some questions about the SE (making him the second SE in Idaho to have legal trouble), but overall a pretty good place to work.
    You can PM me with questions as well.

A longtime news guy switched to sports 6 months ago and left, creating the opening.

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I hear good things about that paper and that town. I have a couple of friends who work there and they love it. (I'm going out to visit them in about a month and a half) They're doing cool multi-media stuff on the Web site. Plus, the publisher has kind of a Catherine Zeta-Jones thing going on, so that's nice.

5. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Thought I'd bump..
    anyone know the status on this one?

6. I got an e-mail back from the SE and know that I am out of the running. I can't remember if they have already hired someone (I believe so, but am not sure) or if they are doing interviews. Anyway, if you haven't heard from them, it's probably a no go.

7. wlat2

wlat2 New Member

No hire yet, but they are doing phone interviews. SE has sent e-mails to the folks who didn't make the first cut.

8. Mark

Mark Member

I saw their Boise State up close work their ass off during the Fiesta Bowl week. Good folks.

There's no finer scholar or scribe than Brian Murphy, but he already knows that ;)

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I don't know if I would call him a scholar... but he did have all 10 top scores on NTN sports trivia at our local bar.

10. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

If you work at the Statesman, you'll get to pimp Brian's columns so they're easier for Bill Plaschke to find. Although I hear he's not having trouble as it is.

;) ;D

11. Fixed.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Well, there are worse jobs...

Draft saved Draft deleted