1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Designer/copy editor, Bakersfield Californian

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HoosierLoser, Mar 16, 2008.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I've only been to Bakersfield once since my JC days (we were in the old Metropolitan Conference with the Renegades) and that was when Orel Hershiser made his first rehab start. But my brother and another person I know told me about this alleged restaurant at the airport. And they both said it was outstanding, by the way. I wasn't trying to be snide, just asking a question because you wouldn't normally think of a situation like that.
    I've been past the Grapevine plenty of times, but I-5 is much faster to NoCal than 99 and getting from here to there the fastest way is usually the goal.
    That said, being a beach kid, I have no desire to go to Bakersfield. All those restaurants will have to survive without me.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sure your brother wasn't referring to a crack house?

3. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

$16/hour comes out to between $33K and $34K a year. That's a lot better than most jobs on this board. And Hoosier did say it was more than that.
    If you're making more than that in a small market, thank your lucky stars. Because I think that's probably pretty rare.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

No, I think most of the crack houses are just off the airport, not right at the airport.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

then you frequent shitty crack houses.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Educate me, bro.

7. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

SoCalDude, I thought you were making a snide comment. I apologize. Maybe there was a great restaurant before a new terminal was built 3 years ago. That was before my time.

As far as staying away from Bakersfield by jumping onto I-5. Before the housing crisis, the city was sprawling toward I-5. There's a new racetrack being built on I-5 with planned restaurants and shopping. Of course, the crisis has stalled everything, including the track.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

This got a bit out of hand. I apologize for being involved in torpedoing the real reason for this thread.
    Good luck filling the position.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No Blizzards?

I'm out.

10. HoosierLoser

HoosierLoser Member

No blizzards, but there's plenty of road closures because of snow. Well, just I-5 through the Grapevine, and highway 58 through Tehachapi. It does snow in the area, I believe last snow accumulation in Bakersfield was 2001.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid. the return of the airport crack house.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Blizzards was capitalized, in regards to your mention of no Dairy Queen.

Draft saved Draft deleted