1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design thread

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by carrie, Oct 3, 2005.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Red Sox story did not need a sub head. That's my only complaint.

2. carrie

carrie Active Member

Re: Design thread *updated 10/4*

The score line?

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

No. There's a graf under the head, a lead-in sub head.

That's thoroughly unnecessary.

Newsday does the same thing, and I've found that it doesn't work. I don't have to read the story, simply because the lead-in sub head tells me exactly what happened. So, why read the story?

4. carrie

carrie Active Member

Ahhh!
    Gotcha.

I think we all pretty much hate those.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I want to meet the guy that decided the lead-in sub head was a good idea. I want to know why he likes them and how he sold newspapers on them.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's the same thing I say about the unindented lead graf in some newspapers, hb.

I'd love to know how some design guru got that past the newsroom hard-liners.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Are you talking about in general? Or lead grafs with dropcaps? Because I'd never indent a dropcap.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The way they do it sucks like a ShopVac. Too many words.

9. Re: Design thread *updated 10/4*

There are some great points in this topic. But something has been bothering me for a pretty long time now. We design sports (I am assuming). Sports is not the first thing you see in the rack. I have heard from SEs and fellow designers things like "above the fold." My question is to read the sports page you have to pull it out of the paper so why is there an emphasis for above the fold?

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I always get my paper folded up. Then I flip through the sections until I get to sports. That means, I still only see the top half until I pull it out.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, no. I'd never indent a dropcap either. And in those instances where you give datelines a "treatment," like a different font or something, I even think unindented lede grafs are OK there.

But look at the Baltimore redesign, for example. They just don't indent the lead graf. It looks chickenshit.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Then I agree wholeheartedly.

Draft saved Draft deleted