1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Design/layout from home

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Do any newspapers allow their page designers to work from home? If you have the necessary programs on a home computer, it's possible to connect that computer to the paper's network, which should allow you to do layout from home.

I think it would be great to do layout from home one or two days a week, or do part of each shift from home.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's coming soon. I'm sure Mr. Publisher will allow everyone to do extra pages in their "spare time" from home. ;)

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

What Starman said. The technology exists, but telecommuting will absolutely never catch on for daily designers. Too much need to have the people in-house (communication, etc.)

Now, if you wanted to grab a few advance pages AFTER your shift from the comfort of your living room ...

4. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Is it possible to connect to the system from home and lay out pages? It is at my place.

However, even with high-speed Internet, I've been told it would be very difficult to do.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I may have the opportunity to do this with our new computers. I don't know how comfortable I'll be with it, until I get comfortable with the new design program and the new computers, but we'll be working with laptops that, in theory, mean I can do my weekly sections from the office, my apartment or the Panera. That'd save a bit on gas for sure.

6. somewriter

somewriter Member

Just think how much money a company could save if it sold its office building.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The last time I had the PCAnywhere software to duplicate the paper's front-end system on my computer, my ISP was so slow that it was totally fruitless.

Now I'm up to speed, but the company has become much more touchy about logging into the system from the comfort of one's home.

8. Stupid

Stupid Member

I'll be doing our agate page for tomorrow afternoon's section from home tonight

9. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I do some of my pages at home, but certainly that's fairly easy in a small shop like ours. In a bigger place, I'd think you'd need to be there from a communications standpoint.

10. EE94

EE94 Guest

I work at a large daily and I would never allow pages to be edited and designed at home. Production needs to be done in a central location, where there is constant communication - reporters need to know where to phone, editors need to know they can talk about last-minute changes, guarantees made that stories aren't being duplicated.
    Just because you CAN do it, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Except in a pinch or occasionally, this is a trend I'd be against (nothing wrong with an agate page here and there, stupid).

I think the interaction and give and take with people helps the product.

On the other hand, I still think writers should show up in the newsroom on a regular basis for the same reason, and we know how that's going these days.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Stupid, I cringe every time I reply to you ... because it feels like I'm insulting you when I use your handle. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted