1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derek Jeter announces 2014 will be his last season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 12, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You said he was helping the team out. There. Pretty damn easy to find.

I am more than willing to criticize the Steelers, the team and individual players, and have done so on many occasions on this board.

The truth is, I like how Jeter goes about his business and I have no problem at all with what he did in this instance. What I do find tiresome is Yankee fanboys wanting to give him credit for things he didn't do. The Captain Intangibles crap in particular gets very old. If you really want to go down that road, I'll be more than happy to explain my point of view, but I'm guessing everybody's just going to find the entire debate tiresome.

That said, the only interest he served with the announcement was his own. There is nothing wrong with that, but when you start going on about how he is helping the team by the way he handled it, you'll have to pardon me calling bullshit.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Re-read the post, OOP. Read it slowly. Use an index finger and mouth the words if necessary.

At no point did I say that Derek Jeter made the announcement in order to help the team. The very first thing I said was that his ego and desire to have a sendoff season was the reason he made the announcement. But, like it or not, the announcement helps the team in several ways. This is inarguable among the sane. It's an ancillary effect of the announcement, not the reason for the announcement.

Call bullshit all you want. If you're arguing that announcing the decision now instead of next offseason does not help the organization, you're wrong. If you're arguing that I said Jeter made the announcement out his magnanimous desire to help the team, you're wrong.

Your desire to label everyone on this board except yourself a fanboy is absurd.

3. outofplace

I haven't come close to putting the fanboy label on the rest of the board. That is just flat-out inaccurate. I do think opinions influenced by what teams we are fans of creep into things a lot of us post. I get it tossed at me more than anybody, sometimes when it is deserved and most often when it is not. I'm used to it, just as I'm used to over-reactions to much of what I post here. I've earned it by being a pain in the ass, so I accept it.

Speaking of reading posts more closely, maybe you should stop whining long enough to read mine. You said making the announcement helps the team. Play semantics all you want, but you wanted to give him credit for doing something to help the team even though I don't think he cared about that aspect. I pointed out that he was doing it for his own interests and that he could have just told the team if he wanted to help the Yankees prepare for the future. I'm just saying the only interests he had in mind were his own. Then you turned it into an argument.

A fanboy is somebody who can't post anything without that being the motivation. I don't think that applies to either of us, or to the other poster I mentioned the word in relation to recently. I do think it showed in your initial post a bit.

4. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Besides, it just isn't realistic. Jeter makes his decision, keeps it private, and everybody else just avoids the topic? The beat writers don't bring up the fact that he'll be a free agent? The front office pretends like Jeter hasn't informed them of his plans when reporters ask about the club's intentions at SS moving forward?

5. bigpern23

Last thing I'll say on the topic … As you just noted, I said the announcement helps the team. It does. This is fact. The very first thing I said (and the very last thing I said) was that Jeter's ego was involved in making this announcement before the season.

To infer that I'm giving him credit for something beyond that isn't semantics - it's a misinterpretation on your part. You're reading into the post something that isn't there.

6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Sign the petition at whitehouse.gov to have Jeter play beyond 2014!

7. outofplace

Not buying it, but whatever. I got so bored with this silly argument that I hadn't even read the thread in days.

8. bigpern23

Me too. Especially since I knew you'd never admit you were wrong. ::)

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Let's predict what Jeter's stats will be in his final season.

My prediction:

152 games, .327 average, 25 HRs, 24 SBs, 119 runs and 94 RBIs. Gold glove and Silver slugger. I also predict that he will win his 6th World Series ring.

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

That is photoshopped, right? Jeter's not gay but if he were he would be a top.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Poor Jeter. ... Taking it like a trouper, though.

No wonder they call him Captain.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

It ain't gay if it is a three-way. Where's Manky in the picture?

Draft saved Draft deleted