1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derek Jeter announces 2014 will be his last season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 12, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yup. Then I disagreed with part of what you said and stated my own opinion.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Glanville on Jeter:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/15/opinion/glanville-the-book-on-jeter.html?smid=fb-share

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You disagree that Jeter's decision to retire has allowed the Yankees to begin planning for 2015, takes the pressure off of management and that now there will be no questions regarding Jeter's future as Yankees shortstop in the second half of 2014?

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

He couldn't have done that privately?

5. bigpern23

Whether he made the decision public or not has no bearing on my post.

The points I made in my post are:
    A) Jeter's ego was certainly a factor in making a public announcement
    B ) Teams across the league are going to fete him all season
    C) The timing of his decision makes things easier for the Yankees going forward in several respects

If anyone cares to disagree with any of those statements, they're just being argumentative.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I don't see how it makes things easier, should they not have been looking for a replacement already?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Should have, but it's hard to push a beloved legend like Jeter out the door, no matter how much his skills have declined. If he's anywhere close to productive it's even harder.
    The Yankees won't exactly alienate their fan base if they shove Jeter aside, but it's still something they should be loathe to do from a PR standpoint. Jeter isn't just a run of the mill Yankee great like Posada or Pettitte, or a guy who joined up at some point and was a fan favorite like Paul O'Neill. He's not only the short list of greatest Yankees ever, he's a Yankee born and bred. That means something, and it should mean something. A handful of guys have earned the right to be treated a little differently and I think Jeter is in that very rare group.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Good point. I'm sure a team playing in the media capital of the free world would have been able to keep the retirement of its biggest star a secret for an entire season…

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The Derek Jeter farewell extravaganza is a much better option.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What earthly reason would there be for Jeter to keep this decision private? "I don't like all the praise he'll get all year" is not a reason.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly my point. Not that he has any reason to keep it quiet, but to say he was serving any interests other than his own is just silly fanboy stuff.

12. bigpern23

Can you point to where I said he was serving any interests other than his own? I'll wait while you find it.

And please, OOP, tell me more about being a fanboy after your 34,750th post about the Steelers.

Draft saved Draft deleted