1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derek Boogaard found dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sctvman, May 13, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pretty fucked up that someone would leak this to the press:

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Why? It's not pretty, but if an actor, a politician or a prominent businessman, I can see that someone would dig it up.

3. YankeeFan

I wouldn't criticize a reporter for "digging it up" or reporting it.

My criticism is directed at the person who leaked the information to the press. Participation in the program is supposed to be confidential.

And, it's total crap that the same person who leaked the info is also likely the person who stressed it would be unfair to draw inferences from his participation in the program.

What a sanctimonious prick. If you don't want inferences drawn, don't leak the info.

4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I did. As I stated, my problem was less with the story and more with a.) the decision to release the information now, which I find inappropriate, b.) the talking heads out there (like Damien Cox) who have already tried to imply his history with concussions/possible CTE connections played a role in his death and c.) this effort to make CTE some sort of boogeyman. We don't know what effect CTE has, if any, on everyday life or how common it might be in the wider population. It's emerging science.

Wait until there are some answers and then announce that the family decided to participate in this program. Much like YF, I think releasing the information leads to inferences that can't be overcome by saying "now don't draw any conclusions from this..."

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

If the family speaks about the decision, why not report it? I have no direct knowledge, but I don't believe they feel it is the wrong time to release this information, based on their response.

From the article:

"Derek loved sports and obviously in particular hockey, so we believe Derek would have liked to assist with research on a matter that had affected him later on in his career," said Ryan Boogaard, 27, who along with younger brother Aaron found Derek unconscious and not breathing soon after 6 p.m. Friday.

I'm not looking to argue, just don't understand why it shouldn't be reported.

And YF, this also from the article I linked last night:

The New York Post reported Saturday that with two weeks left in the Rangers season, Boogaard left the team to enter the NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse & Behavioral Health Program. In addition, Star Tribune sources say when Boogaard missed most of the Wild's training camp in 2009 and the first two weeks of the season under the guise of a concussion, he actually was entered into Stage 1 of the program.

There is going to be a public memorial at the X tonight. His family will be attending:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/121859203.html

6. YankeeFan

I hadn't read your link.

I'm not offended by the info about his brain being studied. The family discussed that.

The family did not discuss his substance abuse. A league official leaked that to at least two newspapers. That's unethical and a fireable offense.

Whoever did it ought to be ashamed.

7. Machine Head

Separate issues, I agree.

And for better or worse, these are the times we live in.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Albert Lin blogs for the Post too?

9. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Got an e-mail news alert saying Boogaard's death was accidental. Mixed booze and oxycodone.

10. Machine Head

As family members prepare to lay former Wild winger Derek Boogaard to rest Saturday morning in his hometown of Regina, Saskatchewan, the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office revealed Friday afternoon that Boogaard's cause of death was an accidental mixture of alcohol and oxycodone toxicity.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/122343764.html

Statement from family:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/122359199.html

11. YankeeFan

Top story right now on the New York Times website:

The family of the Derek Boogaard filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against the National Hockey League.

It contends that the N.H.L. is responsible for the physical trauma and brain damage that Boogaard sustained during six seasons as one of the league’s top enforcers, and for the addiction to prescription painkillers that marked his final two years.

Boogaard was under contract with the Rangers when he was found dead of an accidental overdose of prescription painkillers and alcohol on May 13, 2011. He was 28. He was posthumously diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or C.T.E., a brain disease caused by repeated blows to the head.

“To distill this to one sentence,” said William Gibbs, a lawyer for the Boogaards, “you take a young man, you subject him to trauma, you give him pills for that trauma, he becomes addicted to those pills, you promise to treat him for that addiction, and you fail.”

The N.H.L., through a spokesman, declined to comment Sunday.

Consuming 55 pages of detailed accusations, the suit does not seek specific damages to be awarded to Boogaard’s parents and four siblings. It asks that a trial jury determine “a sum in excess of the minimum jurisdictional limit” for each of eight counts in the suit.

nyti.ms/10QS9Bs

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Gloves are off now.

Draft saved Draft deleted