1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derby credentials for the wife?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 1, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If ESPN thinks Reilly is going to interest a single one of the currently-uninterested in racing, they're delusional. Reilly knows jack about racing.

2. Just out of curiousity, how long is a press box at The Kentucky Derby open?
    For a 1 p.m. start most press boxes, I've been to might be open at 11 and close about two hours afterwards.
    For event that is only two minutes long how much time do reporters actually spend there?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Know multiple guys who have been there filing 3+ hours after the race.
    If your sheet gives it enormous play, there's plenty to do.

4. I saw NBC was treating the derby like a red carpet event, beginning at 3 p.m.

Pass.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The Derby press box opens very early in the morning, not sure of the specific time anymore. Most of the media is there by noon ... you'd better be if you want to park anywhere in the same zip code (though parking got much better once Papa John's Stadium opened nearby).

The press box is open late ... there's a hospitality dinner pretty late that many media members took advantage of when I was covering the Derby in the old press box.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A since-departed local TV clown tried to bring his DOG into the press box at a Big 12 baseball stadium several years ago. That got shut down pretty quick by the SID.

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Hey, Armchair, his wife resembles that remark.

Right after my divorce I took my dog to a HS baseball playoff game.

A college venue? Uh, no.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

ABC suspended Al Michaels years ago for getting his daughter a job on MNF telecast.

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Seeing as how the kid had the same last name as the editor (who was accompanying him), I don't think my eyes are deceiving me here. And I can say from experience that there were ways to get around the USOC for credentials in 2002.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

How's he think he is with this prima donna shit... The Dwarf?
    Loopy (who dressed down an assistant media relations guy with the Tigers years ago, because he didn't have eight tickets for his friends on a Tigers-Yankees opening day at Tiger Stadium.)?

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

That last part's hard to believe.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Loopy couldn't afford to buy the goddamn tickets out of his kiddie-book royalties?

Draft saved Draft deleted