1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deputy Sports Editor - Richmond, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diego Marquez, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Company: Richmond Times-Dispatch
    Position: Deputy Editor-Sports
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Job ID: 715823

Description:
    Leader needed to help direct a staff of 23 full-time and seven part-time writers, editors and designers and produce a compelling sports section seven days a week.
    Will assist sports editor in overseeing day-to-day operation and long-term planning; counseling and coaching; hiring and firing; assessing performance with immediate and long-range feedback. This position will oversee the design and editing process as well as serve as the department's multimedia editor.
    The successful candidate will have new, workable ideas involving multimedia. The deputy editor is expected to have some presence in the sporting community and be able to deal with the public through phone calls and email. Must have a strong sense of ethics and fairness. Must be a team player and a committed member of the management team of a newspaper that is constantly re-examining itself in order to continually improve.
    Needs bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Needs 5 years of daily newspaper experience, including at least 3 years in management. Must have extensive knowledge of almost all sports. Must be very proficient in English and computer-literate. Must have demonstrated journalistic skills including understanding of accepted professional standards. Must have valid driver's license and availability of a car. Must be both a first-rate long-range planner and a day-to-day details person whose management and language skills will command the respect of a veteran, professional staff. Software: Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel), Microsoft Explorer, Harris NewsMaker, Harris Pagination
    Apply by January 12, 2007
    Go to Careers at Media General, select Job ID# RNI-000695, complete the online application form, and use the resume upload feature to attach to your online application a single file that has your cover letter, resume, and four references.
    Also send sample pages demonstrating the range of your work to Sample Pages for Deputy Editor-Sports
    Size limitation for inbound attachments: 10MB

Let's hear some kudos for Mike Harris. The rookie not only leads the ACC in new hires, but is currently leading the nation (Whoa, Nelly!), according to the agate list which just moved over the wire.
    With more hires on the way (according to the other posts), maybe they could have all the new guys do a Foxwoods commercial together.
    Seems to be a lot of positivity toward the RTD sports section right now as he re-loads.

2. MJHRVA

MJHRVA Member

Thanks, Diego! You posted my job before I could.
    I don't think DyePack will be applying for this one but I expect we'll get a lot of good candidates.
    And I don't know about leading the nation but we may soon. One hire done, one well underway, this one just posted and at least one more coming soon.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Hmm, you get the SE job and all of a sudden you have a bunch of openings to fill. That can't be just a coincidence can it? :D :D ;)

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh, how I'd love to see that chemistry at work...

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh, how I'd love to see that chemistry at work...

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Now people are carrying the Kool-Aid with them to other tables.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

What a lovely present it would be this holiday season to have you drink the koolaid.. spiked...

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Meanwhile, back on the job board ****

9. Any update? This job it seems would have the potential to topple some dominoes in the ACC. Expect to see some high-profile applicants.

10. boots

boots New Member

From the boots pipeline, this job probably will be filled in house. Several top candidates for the position.
    However, that is not to say that an outsider might not be able to fill the void if Mike thinks he can handle it.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm sure Ryan Sonner could handle this job, design the pages, mop the floors, clean the trash cans and cover the Hokies.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I'm sure Ryan Sonner could make Richmond a one-man shop with his talents. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted