1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Depression, depression, depression

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The past two weeks have been a bummer. Three friends, two of whom were at fairly large papers, were "laid off." The third was about to begin a new gig when a fire destroyed the business. None are spring chickens and my heart goes out to them. Its very depressing and I'm more worried about my colleagues. They are really stuck. Any suggestions about dealing with the depression and perhaps some advice about helping my friend would be appreciated.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

What symptoms are you showing of depression? Feeling bad for your friends is normal, but it doesn't mean you're depressed.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

See if the school system needs help.

This is the time of year where they might be desperatly looking to fill positions.

Every door that closes opens two others.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

A mental health professional can check to see if you are suffering from depression. If it lasts for more than a couple of days and you stop doing things, that is a concern.

The best thing you can do for your friends is just to speak with them. A lot of times, after something really bad happens, the people affected don't get many calls. When a relative dies, everybody talks to you within the week but sometimes a month later, people don't get calls.

For your friends who were laid off, just send some suggestions and thoughts a couple of times a week.

For your friend who was affected by the fire, just keep asking if he needs anything. Sometimes sending a funny comic strip, joke, or inspirational saying can be a big help. Even if your friend doesn't find it funny or inspirational, it will be appreciated just to know somebody is thinking about them.

5. KG

KG Active Member

Your friends may also go through a period where they seem depressed, but aren't clinically. Loosing a job hurts, and you go through a process somewhat like mourning, but it usually passes.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

firstdownpirates is right. that shit sucks but it's not clinical depression.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Drip,

93Devil has a pretty fair idea. Substitute teaching can get you through a rough patch, and it allows a person the flexibility of taking a day off to pursue interviews, send out resumes, etc.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I haven't had too much luck on the job search, so I'm thinking about doing the same.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

But not necessarily ones you wanna walk through.

Draft saved Draft deleted