1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver Post writer goes postal on ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beefncheddar, Jun 20, 2007.

1. txscoop

txscoop Member

It would surpirse me if he got fired. He can say whatever he wants. It was an opinion piece. We all know half of what he said is right.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

But it wasn't a column, it was a blog... If he turned that in as a column, there's no way The Post would have run it.

3. txscoop

txscoop Member

Im kind of old school so here's a question. Are blogs edited before published?

4. Mizzougrad96

Very, very rarely... I guarantee you this one wasn't...

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wow, I go away for a week and come back and see I missed lots of fun and excitement.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

My great gumshoe tactics have led me to the conclusion that he covers the Avalanche? Correct?

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

http://www.westword.com/2007-06-28/news/adrian-dater-flames-espn/

And it says the complete rant is on their blog, but I can't seem to find it.

8. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1393/580283872_d82eae5d79_o.jpg

Click to enlarge.

Edit: And EnZona had posted this above.

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

1. I think the whole thing is goofy. Is it about settling a score or a cameraman stepping on Dater's toes (gawd knows his feet are big enough)? It certainly isn't about serving the readers. Why the hell write it? Self-therapy?

2. The notion that ESPN doesn't do journalism at all is wrong. Print doesn't have a monopoly on it. Both print and ESPN could do more, aim higher, whatever. Yeah, there's stuff that makes an old-school believer cringe. There's also stuff that's cause for faith. Frankly, how much breaking/investigative stuff can AD claim or the Post (on the sports front at least)? If it was a criticism that was being lodged by Sy Hersh or the late Halberstam I'd take it more seriously.

3. What was written about ESPN folks recruited from print is precisely true. They come with their values intact. They don't go to ESPN to stop doing journalism.

Too much has been said about this already.

YHS, etc

10. Mizzougrad96

About 90 percent of the print journalists who now work there are outstanding...

There are exceptions... Most work for Page 2...

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr 96,

Howz that 90 percent compare with the broad sweep of print types still in print?

YHS, etc

12. Mizzougrad96

Extremely favorably...

Draft saved Draft deleted