1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver Post writer goes postal on ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beefncheddar, Jun 20, 2007.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Great blog.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ed Werder actually is -- or was -- a very good reporter. Since I don't watch ESPN save for live games, I don't really know enough to get all worked up about its excesses.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Wow. Can't go that much in all-caps and be taken too seriously. YOU SIMPLY CANNOT! ALL I CAN PICTURE IS YOU SHOUTING FOR NO REASON AT ALL!

ESPN, disliked as it is, breaks a ton of stories. They like taking credit for it more than they should, but they're in the TV business, where self-promotion is ahead of anything else.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm going to choose to believe SF's take on it, that ESPN does break a majority of its "scoops." Because SF is usually, you know, well ... right. ;)

I sure would like to see the hard, cold numbers, though.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i think this part is at least somewhat valid. if it weren't for actual reporters, people like simmons would have a lot less to write about. it's not that simmons would have nothing to write about but he'd have less.

6. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the point of blogging supposed to be about the here-and-now and not let's wait until tomorrow and see if I've cooled down? If this was a column for the paper I would expect it to be more coherent. As a blog I think it captured his emotions pretty well.
    That said, even 15 minutes of forethought might have served him better. Write it all out, take a break, go have a smoke and then see if you still want to post it.

7. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

That's fantastic. Best blog ever. ;D

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

The Avs-Red Wings rivalry has been a good one, but didn't ESPN help make that a rivalry? [/ducking]

9. Hustle

Hustle Guest

It depends on what you want to do with your blog. If you want to scream and shout, then yeah, go for it.

I look at blogging as my chance to do write what others aren't. Granted, I don't always have enough time to make that happen, but that's the goal.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This is embarrassing -- for the writer. Of all people, he calls out Ed Werder, Rachel Nichols, Chris Mortensen and Marc Stein? What do they all have in common, other than working for ESPN? Oh, that's right, they were NEWSPAPER reporters! At major newspapers, too, perhaps more major than the Denver Post.

Plus, way to insult your readers by calling them "the middle management drones out there in the workplace that pass their time in boredom reading your tired act." Sure, he was referring to Simmons' readers, but this guy's blog is going for the same demographic, whether he cares to admit it.

And "truth will win out?" Gag. That's right, everyone is going to forget that stupid Internet and that stupid ESPN and go back to newpapers where they belong. Here comes Georgie Amberson Minifer laughing about Eugene Morgan's dirty ol' motorcar again.

There are plenty of legitimate rips about ESPN and its personalities, but, man, this blog entry attacks this like Michael Jordan swinging at a Double-A curveball.

11. I wish that was the case for me. I'm just going by what I've been told by my bosses about what they want from us as bloggers, so I'm sure they would have loved this blog. But they'll be disappointed if they expect me to do something similar.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

"Oh, and here’s a little shout out to guys like the Bill Simmonses of the world - guys who never did the real work of journalism but just love to sit from their on-high funnyman thrones and crack wise on the doings of those who could: Hey, I’m from New England - I AM YOUR DEMOGRAPHIC - and I’m even tired of your act. Thanks, Bill, for the 113th “column” on a Vegas trip last weekend. Hench, J-Bug, the line at McCarran, Seventh Circle of Hell, oh, it’s all so fresh and funny, my man. Yes it was, the first 23 times I read it. Go out and hang by Jorge Posada’s locker, as I did tonight, and ask why he stranded the bases loaded in the eighth inning to cost the Yankees a game. Then, come and lecture me about the newspaper business and how it’s all so tired. If I didn’t do what I did tonight, you wouldn’t be able to do what you will do today, which is sit in your underwear, click on a story that a real journalist wrote, and then pass judgment to all the middle management drones out there in the workplace that pass their time in boredom reading your tired act."

Hey, I respect J Bug's opinion. Leave him out of this.

Draft saved Draft deleted