1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver Broncos suspend Brandon Marshall

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A 32-year-old with a Caesar haircut (and complex) and a thin record of success. At least David Shula had a bloodline.

This is one of the worst replacements for a fired Hall of Fame-bound coach, like ever.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

But Pat Bowlen wanted to make a splash. A splash!

Firing Mike Shanahan wasn't a bad move, but replacing him with Josh McDaniels was. His botching of the Cutler situation was ridiculous. But, as foolish as McDaniels has looked, suspending Brandon Marshall was the right thing to do. Anything else would have shown the team that the inmates run the asylum.

Now to see if Bowlen will have the stones to let this carry over into the regular season. If not, this ends up being a lot of sound and fury signifying essentially nothing.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It takes some work to make Josh McDaniels look like the good guy. Congratulations, Brandon. The quote from Stokley in the AP story is great. In response to being asked if he was surprised about the suspension: “Not really, not with his attitude and how he was acting. Something had to be done ..."

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thing is, Brandon Marshall thought being not guilty in his latest scrape would justify the big contract he's seeking.

He's right in that people have short memories. See Albert Haynesworth's monster contract not too long after trying to push Andre Gurode's head into the turf with his cleats. But it didn't happen overnight, Brandon.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As I was telling my co-worker earlier, he should have looked at that not guilty verdict as a blessing, got out there and showed he was deserving of the big money by acting like a professional. Of course, that takes sense, which Marshall is apparently lacking.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The video disgusted me. Marshall is an absolute punk ... and a criminal, not for nothing.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

McDaniels MUST have Bowlen's approval to turn the 2009 Broncos into a tear-down, and Bowlen must be ready to take the heat of a losing season. Coaches don't do the things McDaniels has done without express consent of the paycheck-signer.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Marshall absolutely is acting like a punk. And it's going to be interesting to see how many empty seats there will be this year. Hell, the team is already advertising on TV and radio game broadcasts about calling to get tickets. This for a franchise that has sold out every game since 1970.

9. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Yes. Although, interesting take from Reilly, too. He's blaming everything on Bowlen's short-term memory loss. One quibble: I thought Cutler admitted not calling Bowlen back?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/reillygofish

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Marshall is acting like a punk, but on some level McDaniels needs to prove he can handle working with an athletes who might think they come before the team etc.

I'm not Cutler fan and I'm definitely not a Marshall fan, but some of this falls on the HC.

11. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

I think some of the blame for Cutler and Marshall have to go Shanahan. He drafted and signed free agents with bad attitudes and bad character guys. That is a major reason he is gone and the Broncos are in the crapper. Both Cutler and Marshall had character issues coming out of college and it is showing. But McDaniels does deserve some of the blame for the Cutler fiasco as well.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

What character issues did Cutler have coming out of college? Brandon Marshall is simply stupid. And getting bad advice. Another example of a really talented player surrounding himself with the wrong people. And dating the wrong person. Maybe Marshall is on Shanahan. Maybe not. But the entire Broncos offense is so much worse than it was last year-when Cutler and Marshall were starters. The defense was the problem. I think THAT is on Shanahan. Cutler is just...Cutler. Yeah, he's got an attitude. Yeah, he's got a chip on his shoulder. But he was manageable under Shanahan. McDaniels went into Denver with the premise of trading Cutler. I have no idea why. I can't for the life of me determine why he thought the offense would be better without Cutler. Or why he traded for Orton...someone who will never throw a good deep ball. Hence the reason Marshall wants out of there...his numbers will plummet. It's so screwed up...but I don't think McDaniels should manage people. He sucks at it.

Draft saved Draft deleted