1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Denver Broncos beat writer — Denver Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Mar 29, 2018.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

We are looking for an aggressive reporter to cover our most important beat in sports, the Denver Broncos, for The Denver Post. This person must have a relentless work ethic in order to dig out news and be top of the most competitive beat at our paper. They must be able to handle the demands of digital and print, and be a great co-worker, partnering with a colleague to give us the best online/print coverage possible. Time in the business is less important than a proven maturity and a willingness to learn. If interested, please contact AME/Sports Scott Monserud at smonserud@denverpost.comwith a resume, cover letter and clips that show a diversity of storytelling and breaking news. No phone calls.

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sportswriter

2. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

" Time in the business is less important than a proven maturity and a willingness to learn."

In other words, we want to hire someone young.

3. BaseballGuy1

BaseballGuy1 New Member

Probably doesn't pay much either. The Post is a mess.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I can promise you that's not an accurate translation. If anyone has questions about this job, feel free to PM me.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Proven maturity = no stupid shit posted on Twitter or Facebook.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Have to be at least 90k, no?

DSzymborski likes this.
  7. cjericho

That's it?? Don't have FB, have twitter, but only about 30 unoffensive boring tweets in 5 years. Wife and several others would say
    I'm closer to proven immaturity though.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Happy to answer any questions about the area if you're not familiar with it. If you haven't seen the DFM thread on the journalism board, it's worth checking out. The Post is going through another round of layoffs and there's a lot of anxiety at the Adams County headquarters. It's the most important beat at the paper and both writers just jumped to The Athletic.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Probably around 90k over two years.

Ryan Holmgren likes this.
  10. cjericho

Seriously? For the Broncos beat writer? That sucks. Miss watching and writing about sports, but when I see
    something like that I'm glad to have the job I have.

11. JB20

JB20 Member

It’s s guild paper. Five years’ experience is minimum $1,094/week.

12. ss90

ss90 Member

For those who don't know, the Denver Post has been going through multiple rounds of layoffs since it was bought by Alden Global Capital. This job would be replacing Nicki Jhabvala, one of three Post reporters hired away to The Athletic, which launched in Denver this week. She's great. I'm not a Broncos fan or from Denver, but I follow her on Twitter and read her stuff on quality alone. Big shoes to fill.

An aside: I applied for a job at the DP maybe 9 months ago. Can't speak for how things will go for the people who apply for this job now, but that was a very drawn out process. Took them months to finally fill it.

Draft saved Draft deleted