1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dennis Kucinich (D-WA)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 23, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This would be bizarre:

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've read that the seat won't likely include hotbeds of progressivism. Think SW Washington and SE Seattle/Tacoma region.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just the idea is so -- odd.

William Weld, the former Massachusetts Governor, considered running for the same office in New York State.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/19/nyregion/metrocampaigns/19weld.html

And the Times article mentions a Congressman in the '60's who was elected in two different states (with some time between serving.)

But I can't believe a Congressman currently serving from one state would run from another -- especially one so far away.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I've been expecting him to return to his home planet.

Still, he's got the smoking hot wife ... which means we do have one thing in common.

5. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'd like to see him and Jim Trafficant battle it out in a Washington primary. Beam. Me. Up!

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Daniel Webster started out as a New Hampshire Congressman before moving to Massachusetts. And James Shields was a Senator from Illinios, Minnesota and Missouri in the middle of the 19th century.

So there are precedents.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Does he keep seniority if he changes states? Or does he go back to being a freshman?

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And she is a Brit. Yum.

[​IMG]

IIRC seniority is based on total years of service, not consecutive years in the same seat.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

See, I didn't think that was the case. I thought, for example, that if you lost an election one year, then came back the next time, you started over from scratch.

But maybe that's just the Senate. Obviously House seats will change over time because of redistricting, so you could live in the same place and be in the 8th district one year and the 9th the next.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

FWIW, this is what wiki says.

Representatives who return to the House after having previously served in the House are credited with service equal to one less than the number of terms they served. For example, Rep. Steve Chabot had previously served seven terms, from 1995 to 2009, when he was once again elected in 2010. Instead of holding seniority with others whose terms began January 3, 2011, he was credited with six terms, and holds seniority above all representatives whose terms began January 3, 1999, and after. When a representative has served a prior term of fewer than two terms (i.e., prior term minus one equals less than one), he or she is ranked above all others whose service begins on the same day. For example, Rep. Jay Inslee served one term (from 1993 to 1995) and then returned to the House beginning on January 3, 1999. He ranks above his fellow representatives whose terms began January 3, 1999.[citation needed]

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Wasn't he single when he ran for president? I think I rememeber his kids mentioning it. So I always he thought he was running for President to meet women, just like Jimmy James on News Radio.

Draft saved Draft deleted