1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dennis Hastert is a total stroke

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

This fat bastard should definitely be gone. I am an unenrolled voter who normally votes Republican, but I'll tell you right now, I think it may be good for the country to clean house of any Republican who knew of this shit going on and any Democrat who knew but held onto the info until the elections approached. Both sides should be investigated because I think both sides had people who knew but were keeping it under wraps for politcal gain.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

More appropriate on this thread:

C-SPAN reports via roll call that Hastert will appoint former FBI director Louis Freeh (he of the Bush medal of freedom, and 9/11) to head an investigation into the page program (but what will be the scope and focus?) Also, Hastert will announce the formation of a tip hotline for pages to call if they are being harrassed. No word if Hastert will bury his head in the sand when the hotline tips roll in.

Bullshit on him not resigning yet. Bullshit.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Problem is, one side is doing all the screaming and implying they are simon pure, which is of course not true.

Foley's a dirtbag and needs help but I love how Pelosi and Co. think they're entitled to demand the GOP do what they tell them to do.

I'm also getting a kick out of the Dem talking point that the GOP as a party is going to be harmed by this because it isn't as tolerant of Foley's behavior as the DNC would be.

So basically what they're saying is that the DNC is the party of child molesters. Thanks for pointing that out boys. I'm sure that'll do wonders for you on election day. "Vote for us. We like pedophiles!"

5. Armchair_QB

Why?

6. Point of Order

Why? Because Denny Hastert was aware of Mark Foley's socially unacceptable behavior in at least 2005, probably in 2003, and conceivably before that point, and instead of doing something about it, he swept it under the rug and buried his head in the sand to preserve a seat.

7. Armchair_QB

He wasn't aware of what Foley resigned over. Nothing was swept under the rug. Try again.

8. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

9. Point of Order

Boehner said Hastert was aware there was a problem with Foley and the pages. Foley's chief of staff told Hastert's chief of staff there was a problem with the pages. Republican Alexander says Hastert was aware there was a problem with Foley and the pages. Hastert put his head in the sand.

WASHINGTON (AP) - The list of Republicans who say the speaker of the House knew about Mark Foley's e-mails is growing. Now Louisiana Congressman Rodney Alexander contends Speaker Dennis Hastert was aware of at least some messages, including one where a young page was asked to send a picture. It was Alexander who had sponsored that teen to become a page.

http://www.10nbc.com/news.asp?template=item&story_id=20344

10. Armchair_QB

All of which was common knowledge on both sides of the aisle when it happened. Where was the outrage from the Dems then?

Oh yeah, they were so concerned for the well-being of the pages that they waited until it was closer to the election so they could get some benefit from it. So what if some kids get hurt? Re-taking the House is so much more important. Pardon me if I have a hard time believing the Dems are just worried about these kids.

If Hastert should resign then so should Pelosi. But we know THAT won't happen.

11. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

I am stunned that Hastert is going the blame-the-messenger and opposing party route. I guess I shouldn't be, but I am. I really thought this was one time when someone would condemn something without qualification. Guess I was naive.

This reminds me very much of Gary Barnett's comments about Katie Hnida - someone clearly oblivious to what the issue is here.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You have proof of this, I assume?

And I'll humor you for a moment and say you have a point. What if, then, the Dems showed "outrage" in 2003?

"They're just trying to get our capture of Saddam off the front pages," you'd say.

What if the Dems showed "outrage" in 2004?

"Election year. What did you expect from those Dems?" you would say.

Draft saved Draft deleted