1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DeNiro v. Pacino

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, May 18, 2007.

?

Who's been better over his respective career?

1. Robert DeNiro

33 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Al Pacino

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder who the next DeNiro and Pacinos are. I weep for future generations that have to argue Tobey McGuire vs. Jake Gyllenhall; or Colin Farrell vs. Hugh Jackman.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

there will be only one tony montana.

3. You obviously never saw The Cook, The Whatever, His Wife, Her Lover. Screams, I tell you.
    I give it to Pacino, barely, because he's a more accomplished stage actor. I saw him in American Buffalo, and his magnificent Shylock, in the movie Merchant Of Venice, was one he'd done in London.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Agree, Dan.

I don't see the depth in any of those guys....

By his 15th film, Pacino had GF, Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, GFII, And Justice For All, Cruising and Scarface under the belt.

DeNiro was not quite as meteoric at the very start, but by No. 15, had logged Bang The Drum Slowly, GF II, Mean Streets and Taxi Driver.

Gyllenhaal has Brokeback Mountain and Zodiac, but he still seems lightweight, getting outclassed by Ledger and Downey and Ruffalo in those films.

I think it is pretty down right now.

Like American men's tennis.

5. I think the better comparison is Johnny Depp, Sean Penn, and Edward Norton myself.
    Very talented. Willing to take chances on odd parts.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Until 20-30 years from now (or sooner) Hollywood is still out of ideas and decides to remake Scarface.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

only this time, tony flees to toronto.

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

In the past 20 years, Pacino has done:

Carlito's Way
    Angels In America
    Insomnia
    Donnie Brasco
    The Insider
    Heat
    Glengarry Glen Ross
    Dick Tracy
    Sea Of Love
    And Justice For All

There aren't many actors who've done that many great movies and performed beautifully in them for their entire careers -- and these all came what generally is acknowledged as Pacino's career peak.
    I voted for DeNiro, and I'll defend that, but anyone who thinks Pacino is not now and has not been regularly brilliant is foolish.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

As for today's actors, I think there are a couple good ones. Matt Damon isn't that bad, as is Leo DiCaprio. Mark Wahlberg seems like he's got some talent, too. Then again, you're trying to compare these guys' Pujols, A-Rod & Jose Reyes to the Aaron/Ruth combo that is DeNiro & Pacino (no particular order): you need to give today's actors a lot of time to really see if they can measure up.

On a side note: if Bobby and Al can be called the two best actors in the last 30 years, where do these guys stand: Jack Nicholson, Gene Hackman, Robert Duvall & Clint Eastwood?

10. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Jack, Gene, and Duvall all have fantastic credentials and all of the older fellas here are first-ballot Hall of Famers.

What seperates Eastwood, is does he go in as an actor or as a director?

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Pacino is in one hell of a drought...

Draft saved Draft deleted