1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DeNiro v. Pacino

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, May 18, 2007.

?

Who's been better over his respective career?

1. Robert DeNiro

33 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. Al Pacino

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I'd have to say DeNiro... BARELY. Bobby is a lot like Hank Aaron: steady, reliable and one of the best in the game for an extended period of time. Pacino makes me think of Willie Mays: truly incredible for the first two-thirds of his career, but with movies like Ocean's 13, he's just tripping over himself in center field.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Dude, don't act like DeNiro hasn't done cashgrab movies. Fockers, anyone?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"You've got to be part. Of. A. Team."

"You talkin' to ME?!"

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Thought this thread was about today's announcement:

De Niro, Pacino pair up for new film

CANNES, France (Reuters) - Robert De Niro and Al Pacino, two heavyweight actors of world cinema, will team up for only the second time on movie screens in a new film called "Righteous Kill," the film's producers said on Friday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070518/en_nm/cannes_deniro_dc_1;_ylt=Agq0AFWUaQ7XAg19uaMxf9AE1vAI

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Oh, without a doubt that Bobby has sold out for more than a few flicks. My biggest thing is that DeNiro can do comedy and do it fairly well. As of right now, I can't really see Al pull off a good comedy... or at least a movie that was designed as a comedy.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

And I can't see Helen Mirren doing a slapstick comedy. Doesn't make her any less of a great actor.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've seen DeNiro do a lot of different things in his career (Meet The Parents, King of Comedy, The Deer Hunter, Ronin) - Pacino seems to be the same guy in every movie (he also receives minus points for Devil's Advocate and Any Given Sunday) and when you get down to it I think DeNiro would kick Pacino's ass in a fight.

8. Songbird

Dan, don't forget Pacino's role as Louis Cyphier (sp?). Man, that scene with Rourke and Bonet was steamy.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That was DeNiro in Angel Heart - his devil would kick Pacino's devil's ass. I have to give Al some cred for Glengarry Glen Ross and The Insider.

10. Songbird

Dammit, that's what I thought. Oh well.

11. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

DeNiro's stint in the director's chair for The Good Shephard gives him the nod. Besides, can you name the last good Pacino movie? He did that one murder flick with Hillary Swank and Robin Williams which was excellent and it's been downhill ever since.

I liked Pacino in Any Given Sunday. But Devil's Advocate? Two For The Money? Ugh.

And DeNiro does a great job in comedy. Analyze This was one of the funniest movies done in a while, as was Meet the Parents. Fockers wasn't that great.

Originally, I thought this was who'd win in a fight. Of course, it'd be The Raging Bull and the Taxi Driver who'd triumph.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

DeNiro.

I don't think Pacino could have pulled off roles like Al Calpone (Untouchables), Jack Walsh (Midnight Run), and Jake LaMotta (Raging Bull) as well as DeNiro did.

On the other hand, DeNiro wouldn't have pulled off Frank Keller (Sea of Love), Tony Montana (Scarface), Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade (Scent of a Woman) as well as Pacino.

Draft saved Draft deleted