1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dems lose Connecticut senate seat

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Nov 7, 2006.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Independent candidate Joe Lieberman defeated Democrat Ned Lamont in the Pennsylavnia senate race. The seat, previously held by Democrat Joe Lieberman is now out of the Democrats column and in the Independents column.

2. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

In name only.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

So how long does Lieberman have before he declares he's a Democrat again? Or does Connecticut state law prohibit him from changing parties (from Independent to Democrat) after the election? As an independent he could be part of a 49-49-2 split in the Senate. As a Dem he could be part of a 50-49-1 split. Remember, Vermont elected another independent to fill Jim Jeffers' seat.

4. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

does it really matter how he is classified?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

How are these threads on results NOT considered news?

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It does.

7. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

The Vermont independent is Bernie Sanders. He's too liberal for even the Democrats.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If you look at the breakdown, it was Republican voters that carried him over the hump, so he owes them more than the Democrats. And with Chris Dodd having supported Lamont, I wouldn't blame Leiberman if he serves the Democrats up a big cup of cold revenge when it comes time for their caucus to meet (which I believe he already said he would take part in). I'd be bitter enough if I was him, to stick it to them.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This is what the Connecticut Dems get for deserting a good man because they got in a snit over one issue. I know Liberman is Jewish but I hope he holds grudges like a Sicilian.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Funny how you guys didn't seem to care, hondo, when Republicans shit on a good man like John McCain in 2000.

As a matter of fact, most of the politicians supported Lieberman, including both Clintons. It was the Democratic voters who didn't care for Joe.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

If only Lamont could've kept Al Sharpton off the damned stage after he won the primary...

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Lieberman has already committed his allegiance to the Democratic side of the aisle. I think the party made a grave error in not renominating him. The Connecticut voters re-elected him because of his ethical standards and his work for the state.

Draft saved Draft deleted