1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dems' latest oil answer: Speed limits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HackyMcHack, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Junkie, I don't drive long distances all that often. When I do, I agree that I would rather spend the extra $4, $8, or $12 extra to get there. However, I'm trying to look at this with a larger scope than that.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

Fundamental Freedoms

Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
    a) freedom of conscience and religion;
    b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
    c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
    d) freedom of association.

Don't see any mention of "freedom to drive a Porsche Carrera really, really fast."

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Put me in the "Piss on You" category.

A national speed limit is nothing more than a license for shitburg towns to increase their revenues through speed traps. Whoever suggested this needs to be taken out and shot.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Make no mistake -- I'm not in favor of this.

The enforcement would be wildly-uneven, and not much ticks off the broad public as much as selective enforcement of unpopular laws.

But, in talking DWI: if you have a sustained history of demonstrable DWIs and/or hit-and run (or even hit-and-NOT-run . . . the "hit" is the important part), believe me . . . it's time to get familiar with taxicabs and/or public transit. Because the broad public shouldn't have to be endangered by the likes of dirtbags like you.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Regardless of whether driving fast (within the reasonable bounds of safety) is a right or a privilege, the idea is a bad one. It is unlikely to change our consumption for the better and is unlikely to make any meaningful dent in gasoline prices.

This is why I hate both parties. In response to the fact that we use too much oil, some Republicans say, "No problem. Lets just dig for more!" and some Democrats say, "Lets institute a highly unpopular and largely unworkable policy that will do nothing to actually address our dependence on oil." And neither side shows any innovation or long-term planning.

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

FACT.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Would shooting folks who suggest lowering speed limits be a right or a privilege?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

c. A damn good idea.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't Republican Senator John Warner the first to raise this idea? A couple of weeks ago no less?

Gun ownership is a right. It says, you have "the RIGHT" to bear arms. It's in the Bill of RIGHTS. But not anyone can own a gun anymore. The right vs. privilige argument is a good distraction though.

10. Driving may be a privilege, but forcing limitations on speed limits because of gas prices is absurd.

Stupid.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Try asserting that voting is a right, when you have been a convicted of a felony.

The "whens" don't mean they aren't rights. There are limitations on your rights when you break the social contract and prove you can't exercise those rights responsibly.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Absolutely.

Draft saved Draft deleted