1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dems have house, senate; is Clinton next? next?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I sure as hell wouldn't. I would never, ever, ever vote for Hillary. If she's the nominee, I'm voting third party.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

If she's the nominee, I give the max contribution to GOP and say "do what you have to do".

Multiply that by millions. The name Clinton sends most Repubs foaming at the mouth.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I can't stand Hillary, but if you think she's nothing more than Lurleen Wallace with a Yankee accent, you're nuts.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

She's a smart lady who also happens to be one of the worst public speakers in politics. She won't survive a national campaign. Al Gore was certainly in need of a charisma injection, but Hillary makes Gore look like Shecky Green. At least Gore could poke fun at himself. Hillary quite obviously had her humor bone removed around the time her husband was sticking a different bone in anything with a pulse (can't say I blame her, either). She's been an effective senator, one that New Yorker obviously like, and the fact that some people try to paint her as a Noam Chomsky liberal radical is hilarious, because she's barely to the left of Joe Lieberman. If her name were James Rodham and she had a penis, Republicans who currently get an erection over the fantasy of seeing her burned alive would be here telling us how she and Lieberman would be the ideal Democratic ticket.

There are a lot of reasons why she can't win. One is that she doesn't have the personality, two is because of her husband, and three is because, simply put, she has a vagina. If Hillary Clinton (or any other female Democrat) were president and Hawaii were hit with a North Korean missile, about half the South, plus Idaho, Montana, both Dakotas and random states in the Midwest would practically revolt. Texas might outright try to succeed. There are simply too many people in this country, and especially the military, who could not respect the presidency enough if a woman held office, and it would be chaos. Hillary might be tough enough to withstand the criticism, but I just don't see it happening.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

We will elect a woman president someday. But it won't be Hillary. She doesn't come across well....she lacks something. Call it sympatico, empathy, personality. Every politician comes off as pandering at some point or another -- but she always comes off as pandering. Her voice does not come off well -- it lacks a natural rhythm.

If I was Hillary, I would go to Obama or Edwards, etc. and pull an Earl Warren, "If you promise to make me your first Supreme Court nominee, I will put my entire backing behind you and get my donors and all of the Clinton political team working day and night to get you elected."

6. Edwards will be the nominee.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I disagree. I'm not sure what the last six years have done, but in 2000 all he had going was personality. When it came to talking about issues he was an empty suit.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Edwards can't give the Two Americas speech forever, can he?

9. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Absolutely an empty suit.

All RFK-y... until he opened his mouth.

10. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Well if anyone bothered to read the Murdoch story in the New Yorker, you'll see that Bill Clinton made the smart move of befriending him, and it seems to have worked. He spoke at the NewsCorp retreat recently. Also in the story: There's a strange correlation of candidates Murdoch's papers have backed and them winning. It's a bit disconcerting.

And I keep hearing how nobody likes Hillary, nobody wants to vote for her ... but I'm not hearing any 'why.'

Five months ago, George Allen was a lock to win Virginia, and had a shot at running for Pres in 08. We know how that turned out.

Hillary's MUCH closer than you think, guys ...

11. XXXX

XXXX Member

so who do you guys have going against each other in '08?

i'm thinking mccain and....... i don't know who the dems throw out there, maybe obama (too inexperienced) or hillay ( will never get elected)

Draft saved Draft deleted