1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dems choose Charlotte for 2012 convention

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 1, 2011.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm sure you would lend the same benefit of the doubt and rationalization had it been Sarah Palin who said something so idiotic.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm guessing describing Charlotte barbecue is like talking about the L.A. sourdough or the Cuban food in Jacksonville.

3. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Charlotte today: Light Rain 36 degrees. Saturday 51.

Tri-State area: Truckloads of snow and freezing cold. City may not be up to par, but that is reason enough for me right there.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Indoor smoking in NC was banned as of Jan. 1, 2010. There are a few exceptions... but not quite sure where "Obama will be able to smoke indoors."

Nice try at a cheap Obama dig tho, Boom. :)

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I still don't think it's idiotic. No matter who said it. Hell, I'd have said it.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A more legitimate complaint:

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have known any better either, but I think Dan's point is spot on. Just because North Carolina in general has great BBQ doesn't mean Charlotte does.

And, it's not like Michelle Obama sat down at her kitchen table to write that announcement. She has staff, and its their job to make sure you don't screw up stuff like that.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I lived in Charlotte from the time I was 7 until I was 27. There's plenty of fine barbecue there. (I assume Spoon's still exists?) No, Charlotte isn't particularly known for barbecue the way Lexington is. Big whoop. There is no cuisine Charlotte is known for. Gaston County, adjacent to the west, used to be known for "fish camps."

Not sure there's usually anything "wonderful" about most political convention sites. Charlotte is a reasonably sized place, that thanks to African-American voters, went strong for Obama in 2008. Not sure he has much of a chance of capturing the entire state again, having the convention there oughta help.

The union thing is a pretty good point.

People don't smoke in Charlotte any more or any less than most other places. And if you want to try to poke fun at someone for mentioning barbecue, well, guess what, you'd have to drive a few hours to find a tobacco field or any tobacco manufacturing. Has nothing to do with Charlotte. So that's way more offbase.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I grew up about 25 miles north of Charlotte, and always went 35 miles to the north to get decent BBQ in Lexington. There is a good Que joint about an hour west in Shelby, but nothing that decent close to Charlotte. They can lie to themselves and pretend that Troutman's in Concord is good BBQ since the Troutman family is a big supporter of Team Donkey (one of them ran as a Dem for the Eighth District seat in 1994), but I wouldn't wish Troutman's Que on...my worst enemy -- even Democrats. ;D

If they want my advice (they don't), they should do themselves a favor and order in a shipment of the real stuff from Wayne Monk's place in Lexington.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Now where I grew up, on the other hand, is a serious barbecue haven. And, not coincidentally, a place for cardiologists to stay busy.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

After the dust settled, it turns out the biggest issue is that N.C. is a right-to-work state and the union bosses all have their panties in a wad.

It's thought the DNC would've picked St. Louis – no argument about the BBQ there – but Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill, who's bracing for a tough race in 2012, waved them off. Her reasons for that are open to your speculation.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

If the Dems were so worried about the BBQ selection, they'd have picked Wilson. Sadly, I doubt Barton's gym could handle such a crowd.

Draft saved Draft deleted