1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dems choose Charlotte for 2012 convention

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Feb 1, 2011.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh wait, my bad -- perhaps they can go to Lowe's Motor Speedway to watch 40 cares make left-hand turns for four hours!!!

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Not in Charlotte he won't ...

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

And Tampa is how action-packed?

I don't think the parties give a shit about anything other than demographics when it comes to picking their convention location.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

when we were there a couple years back for the Meineke Bowl, that was the worst part of the whole trip. Of course my buddy was stoked because cigs were like $2 a pack.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Never second-guess the rationale behind why some people vote the way they do.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Party folks, in their binary way of looking at the world, do think it matters.

These days, I think either party would do well to show as little of themselves to the public as possible. Create a little sense of mystery.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Given that Charlotte is an area heavy on banking and financial matters, it's kinda shocking that the Democrats chose this area. Raleigh would have made more sense given the general party lines of the state.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Charlotte's big enough for the event, Raleigh isn't.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Both metro areas have a population of about a million people. In terms of size, the difference between the Triangle and Charlotte Metro isn't that great, M_G.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Last time the GOP won the state where they had their convention was Texas in 1992. Last time the Dems lost the state they had their convention was Georgia in 1988. Figure the GOP will take Florida in 2012 - Dems will have a tough race in North Carolina.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

All the NASCAR big wigs are died in the wool Republicans. Most of the fans, too.

Look, these things are all about money and how much it brings in. Cities will chase BOTH parties in the same year. Hell, they'd chase the Nazi Party convention if they thought it would bring enough well-heeled out of town visitors.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sam, I meant in terms of centralization. A convention needs a city center of X size to function.

Draft saved Draft deleted