1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democrats debate from Philly (ABC)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DougDascenzo, Apr 16, 2008.

1. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

What would you want her to do? Keep lying? Or drop out of the race because of one exaggeration? And let me ask you this, what's worse "I was shot at in Bosnia" or "I don't take money from lobbyists?"

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Well, since one is a lie, and one isn't, you can pretty well guess.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

George and Charlie: Jesus, might one of you actually be interested in asking about an important issue?! Quit wasting everyone's time!

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They're saving the good stuff for last.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

yeah, saving the good stuff for when the debate's up against "american idol." ;)

the "flag pin" flap is a riot. sure, question obama's patriotism. the guy just wants to be potus 'cause he hates america. ::) ::) ::)

gimme an effin' break. :mad: :mad: :mad:

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

While I cannot support your wildly liberal policies when it comes to smilies, on the substance of the argument, we are of one mind.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Obama: Stop talking about your capital gains tax plan; you're losing votes with every word.

8. service_gamer

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/09/23/in_illinois_obama_dealt_with_lobbyists/
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/election2008/2008-04-15-obama_N.htm

Maybe he can change his slogan to "I only take money from lobbyists when it is convenient" or "I don't take money from lobbyists--just retired lobbyists who still have ties to their former employers, wink, wink"

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Which is, of course, absurd.

He has never claimed that he hasn't taken money from lobbyists in the past, nor has he ever claimed that he hasn't taken money from people who know lobbyists or people who work with lobbyists.

He's not taking money from federal lobbyists in this campaign. Same as Edwards, who also took lobbyist money in the past.

HRC proudly does.

10. service_gamer

You have got to be kidding me. If we were standing in the same room, you could tell me that taking money from a lobbyist is wrong, but taking money from someone who is friendly with or was a former lobbyist and still has ties to the lobbying corporation is okay? If the roles were reversed, would you give Hillary the benefit of the doubt? Of course not, because you have decided to look the other way and give Obama a free pass and grill Hillary twice as hard. Then, when someone dare questions your candidate on anything, you get angry. Use common sense.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

This really isn't that hard.

Not taking money from federal lobbyists is feasible. It's a step a candidate can take to try and not be quite so bought and paid for. The reason it is feasible is that to be a lobbyist you have to register. The campaign can check donations against one database and return money to those who have registered as lobbyists.

Do you have a list of everyone who ever worked with someone who was a lobbyist? Do you have a list of everyone who is married to a lobbyist? Everyone whose brother-in-law is a lobbyist?

The knots you're tying yourself into to try and work up some indignation here are comical. Hillary is perfectly within her rights to take money from federal lobbyists. Edwards and Obama were perfectly within their rights to refuse. And, yes, despite taking money from people who work with people who are lobbyists, I am perfectly within my rights to prefer the candidate who at least tries to moderate the amount of money coming to his campaign from lobbyists.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

On the subject of capital gains taxes, quit talking about tax hikes, period. Economics 101. Not only that, in times of recession that type of thinking does not add up.

My vote goes to McCain, but I'd rather see him face Obama. Just get the general election underway, for God's sake. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted