1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Democratic Nom - Order Your Importance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Yes. winning the popular vote in three of the last four elections is a burden.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

None of it matters... Dems have open primaries, so Republicans can cross over and manipulate the vote count. Delegates don't matter because party rules say that they don't have to vote for the candidate they're pledged to, so if the trailing candidate can swing enough of them, the trailing candidate can take the nomination.
    Just do the voting American Idol style.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Both political parties in every national election focus on winning "swing" states. You talk about this like it's some recently devised thought process. You think the DLC invented this? Is this your first national election?

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Well, at the end of the convention the only number that will matter is No. 3, so I will say that one. Nos. 2 and 5 are the means to get there, and Nos. 1 and 4 are meaningless spin points. The first one to 2,025 gets the prize.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

And we have another straw man. Show me where I said the DLC "invented it." I said it hasn't been a winning strategy for Dems in the last two elections, so perhaps it's time for a new strategy. Care to argue with that point?

Also, it's my third national election. I voted in 2000, and in 2004, and I'll vote again this year. So take your condescension and shove it.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Exactly.

And last time I checked the GOP doesn't have a mechanism in place that gives the party leadership the opportunity to give the finger to its voters like the DNC does.

7. Grimace

Grimace Guest

The White House?

8. Armchair_QB

Uh, the GOP has open primaries too.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Blue font, A_QB.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

A_QB ... don't forget, blue is the color of sarcasm.

11. Armchair_QB

I don't know how they do it in the other 49 states but you can cross over and vote in either primary down here.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Winning swing states is both parties' strategy in every national election because it's the ONLY intelligent strategy with our electoral process. It WILL be the strategy of both the Democrats and Republicans in this general election, too, just like the last one and the one before that and the one before that. Can I make it any clearer than that?

Don't bother to respond, I'll just point this simple fact out to you when we get to the general election and both parties are trying to figure out how to win the swing states.

Draft saved Draft deleted