1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Delaying Daytona

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chris17, Feb 26, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You have cars for each kind of track (mile and a half, short track, restrictor plate, two-miles) because each type has different needs. Within each of those groups, you focus the car more specifically to 2-3 tracks. So the Daytona cars aren't used at Phoenix, Phoenix isn't used at Vegas, etc.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Before the switch to electronic fuel injection (this year), at Talladega and at Daytona cars were required to have a plate between the carburetor and the "throat" leading down into the intake manifold. This restricted the flow of air/fuel mixture and acted as a cap on top speeds. Restrictor plates at those two tracks were mandated after the 1987 Winston 500 (at Talladega) when Bobby Allison went airborne (and into the fence) at around 210 mph -- Bill Elliott had set the all-time qualifying record at something like 214 mph earlier that week. At that 1987 race, lots of debris went into the crowd, and they had to black flag it for a good while as they repaired the fence. They tried smaller carburetors for a race or two, then shifted to the restrictor players at those two tracks ever since.

Now that electronic fuel injection is in use, the restrictor plate simply restricts the amount of air that can enter the throttle body.

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Translation for all us non-gearheads: A restrictor plate slows the damn car down.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It does at top speed which, at Talladega and Daytona, you run all the way around the track. At other tracks you have to ease out of the throttle (and maybe get into the brakes) to get around the turns. But at those two, with their size and steep banking, you go flat out all the way around.

My first-ever NASCAR race was that one at Talladega in 1987, when I was the only guy there for our paper. I remember thinking, chit, now I gotta do a mass disaster story. But dayum those cars were powerful. They'd get the green flag (at Talladega they get it around the middle of the tri-oval, at Daytona they get it coming out of turn 4) and they'd already be at near full speed by the time they got out of turn 2. Now, they have to go nearly a lap to build up enough momentum to get up to full speed.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know they used the restrictor plates at New Hampshire for a year or two after Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty died. Do they still do that?

6. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

No. One time deal. If I remember correctly, didn't that race get run VERY late. As in, almost Thanksgiving? I may be off on this one.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Never seen a NASCAR race. It sounds as though, if I were going to see one, people say Talladega (sp?) is usually damn exciting?

8. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Depends on what you want to get out of a race. If you think you would like "pack" racing with most of the field bunched up in one group going exceptionally fast, with the occasional 15+ car crash to thin things out, then a superspeedway like Talladega or Daytona would be for you. I prefer a shorter, tighter track like Richmond with a little more contact and leaders having to maneuver through traffic in order to win.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't forget special cars for Infineion and Watkins Glen ... you know, cars that make right turns as well as lefts.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Bristol, especially the night race in August, is sort of the best of both worlds. Lots of contact, lots of skill, great atmosphere (at least that's the rep; I've never been there for a race), some hype and an awesome venue. Bristol is basically the size of a giant football stadium. Unlike, say, Talladega, which is freaking huge, you can pretty much see the whole track in your line of sight.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As always, Wikipedia is our friend.
    You're right -- they used the plates in the fall 2000 Cup race only, although the Modifieds series still uses it there.
    The Thanksgiving race you mentioned was in 2001. It was supposed to be in September, but got postponed because of 9/11.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I believe Jeff Burton led every lap of that 2000 snoozefest. Only entertaining part was Dale Earnhardt trying to get a lap back. The 2001 race featured Gordon vs. Gordon. Jeff Gordon got slowed by lapped traffic late, leading to him being punted by Robby Gordon, who was driving the No. 31 Lowe's car (last race for Lowe's with RCR before switching to Hendrick) at the time. Jeff lost his cool under caution and retaliated, while Robby went on to get the win.

Draft saved Draft deleted