1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Delaware Will Legalize Sports Betting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Re: Delaware Gov. looking to legalize sports betting

I believe this is the part he meant:

"No Preference shall be given by any Regulation of Commerce or Revenue to the Ports of one State over those of another"

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I'm glad to be of service.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Struck down, 23-15 vote.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=4146311

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Crap, I bet it'd pass.

Well as long as I bet double on this Martingale fellow, I can't lose.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

It's aggravating that it had a majority in favor, and the three abstentions really sting considering it was only two votes short.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The sad thing is that Pennsylvania would have table games already but a certain governor keeps stalling it.

People want it and this state already has slots and horse tracks -- which are probably more addicting and have more people hooked who can't afford to be playing them -- than table games, so what is the problem?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Helluva story there!

I'm glad this got shot down if this was going to be bad parlay-card gambling. That stuff is crack.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Have agreed, agree, and will agree, a million times over . . .
    we have one confiscation plot with the state lotteries . . . don't need another.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Just caught the end of an ESPN crawl that says the state Senate passed a bill that the governor is expected to sign later this week legalizing gambling in Delaware. The NFL isn't pleased at all.

Good for Gov. Jack Markell, and good for Delaware (though maybe bad for some of my friends, who depend on that extra under the table bookie income there!) to do this. BTW, watch out for Markell in the coming years. He's a Democrat on the rise who could have a great future nationally.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20090513/NEWS02/905130349&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

My bookie long ago captured the essence of sports betting thusly:

"You want to make a bet, call me."

"You want to bet a parlay, I'll call you."

"You want to bet a teaser, I'll send you a limo to get you to the phone."

Parlay is ingenious, even at 3-1 for a two-teamer.

They will make an avalanche.

Other states better get off their faux moral high horses and pass their own bills before Delaware carves a brand as the proximate legal sports gambling place.

Vegas officially starts to sweat as the slippery slope toward unfettered nationwide sports betting has been stepped upon.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

By federal law Delaware is the only state east of the Mississippi River that can host sports betting.

That means some state (we're looking at you, New Jersey) is going to have to seek federal permission, and with the number of nannies in Congress, that probably means successfully suing the federal government, to overturn that law before it happens.

Delaware says it'll have sports gambling by this fall. All you east coasters, instead of going to Vegas, go to Delaware instead! The beaches will be booming all year round now.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, it looks like any hopes of an NFL franchise in Wilmington have all but dried up.

Draft saved Draft deleted