1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deitsch on the Skip Bayless-ization of ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by H.L. Mencken, Dec 27, 2011.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Brandon,

I have a question.

How much of the content at the Magazine is tied to the television programming. I have been a subscriber of the Magazine since issue two. I still receive it, I think because I am a subscriber to ESPN Insider.

I look at all the the emphasis the magazine has given the X games. Is that because the editors think that the typical sports fan/ESPN subscriber cares about the X games or is that a sop to programming department.

Maybe my examples are outdated (I decided to ignore the magazine a while ago) but my memory is that the Magazine frequently read like the monthly magazine my cable company sends me touting upcoming programming.

I realize that tons of talented and ethical journalists work at ESPN but is there a wall between programming and the magazine? Or does programming dictate story selection?

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

You need to dust off some of those ESPN Mags piling up in your garage if you think it's still big on X-games features.

Each issue has a theme, so if there is a College Basketball Issue, it's tied to start of college basketball season, which the network covers a lot of. Beyond that, there is very little connection with TV programing and the Magazine.

Draft saved Draft deleted