1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Degree or no degree.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by philnm06, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'll never tell anyone to pass up an education, especially if low-paying work is the alternative. We're not talking about someone making $100K, we're talking about ramen wages in all likelihood.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I look at where I work now, or the last few places I've worked for that matter, and wonder whether lack of a college degree would have dropped my resume in the trash right off the bat. The place I'm working now, almost definitely. Some of the others, maybe. But I've never had to worry about it because I got the degree. And I was a lousy student, for what it's worth. No one cares about that, but I'm darned sure they care that I've got that B.A. to my name.

At your age (I assume you're fairly young, apologies if I'm wrong), you're probably just not seeing what extra class time/homework/hassle can lead to when there's something right under your nose. But I think there will be a day when you would regret not having that sheepskin in your pocket.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I started working in the newspaper industry for free during my second semesterof college. I doggedly worked my up as I went through school, and eventually, the paying job overtook the non-paying classes. I was lucky enough to be hired fairly early in my career by someone who didn't care about my lack of degree. And I spent many years assuming my hard work early on in breaking into the business would cancel out, if not overwhelm, the fact I never got my degree. But now, 15-plus years into my career, I don't have a problem finding work, but my options are limited more and more by age and circumstance (specifically not having a degree), and there's probably no more than a handful of people left in the business who give a fuck that I took the road less traveled all those years ago. So, to paraphrase myself from earlier in this thread, get your damn degree.

4. Go to college. Find a good major -- engineering for example. Kick ass. Graduate. Get a decent job with a livable wage. Live out your "dream" of writing as a stringer in your free time. Enjoy not fucking up.

5. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

It's really, really hard to go back to college if you drop it for awhile, which I don't think anyone who went straight from high school (or close to it) to college realizes. Just losing that momentum is killer, not to mention the possibility of running into issues with credits and enrolling again, and trying to work your class schedule around whatever else life will throw at you in a year or two. Plus, tuition costs go up every year. The most painless way to do it is to get it all done in one go.

And pretty much what everyone else said. Get the degree. There are some opportunities that are worth skipping out on school for, but this doesn't seem like one of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted