1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Degree not worth the cost

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Jun 24, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Exactly. It's risk/reward.

If you're smart, hard working, have gotten into a good school, and plan on a career in a high income field, a college degree is an investment that is worth the risk.

If you want to be a photographer's assistant (as featured in a NYT article), a degree in social work from NYU probably isn't a sound investment.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I got out of a four-year college in about five years (Slacked off senior year) and left with $700 in debt.

Paid it off in two months. Best decision I've ever made.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My buddy makes huge $$ now as a heart surgeon. But, it took him around 13 years post-grad to get his first private job. So he got his first real paycheck at 35. I don't really begrudge him or anyone similar the huge $$ they make, its pure supply and demand. Oh yeah, and he's saving lives, unlike me.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My income doubled the day I finished my college education. That was four years ago. Now, it's almost three times what it was before college.

For me, the juice has been worth the squeeze.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Isn't the whole point of getting a Masters in the first place is to get one of those high-paying teaching jobs?

Draft saved Draft deleted