1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deford's confessions in SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by brettwatson, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Scouter

Scouter Member

Fun piece to read, although I agree with others that the presentation was odd.

Not sure why, but I loved his line about the wrestling bear, saying it pinned him "whenever the spirit moved him." Never in a million years would I come up with that phrase. But it's great.

The college I attended somehow snagged Deford to give a lecture on our campus during my senior year. The guy's public speaking skills are about as good as his writing. He had the audience's attention for every second. I was lucky enough to be one of a handful of students in the communications department invited to eat breakfast with him the next morning. One of the coolest experiences of my life.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

JesusMaryandJoseph, all I'm saying is that a lot of bush leaguers hereabouts like to pounce on some other writer who expands on a story angle, as if the thing can't be touched once they lift their legs on it in Scooba for 15 inches or wherever or whatever.

My point is, doing a story right means more to me than having it first. Anyone who has it first also presumably has the chance to do more with it, but there's no squatting on story angles like they were domain names or something.

Waaaaaa, Big Shot Writer didn't give credit to Podunk scribbler, waaaaaa!

Do the folks who kvetch about that realize how small they sound?

Draft saved Draft deleted