1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deford's confessions in SI

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by brettwatson, Mar 24, 2010.

1. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Sidd Finch was fiction, not enterprise.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Went in prepared to not like it, came away loving it.

Maybe the detractors don't understand how radically this business has changed since 1960, and I'm not just talking about the Internet. The steady encroachment of television and almost-constant coverage of live events had a huge impact in a different way.

Deford's piece put that all in perspective from the viewpoint of someone who was on the front lines. If I were teaching any kind of media or mass communications class, this would be required reading.

3. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

WHAT !?!?!?!!?!

4. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Ditto. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not sure why there's so many people who dislike it so much.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Reading Deford long pieces was never easy. It was analogous to driving on a busy interstate in a heavy rain storm. A white knuckle ride that required total concentration. Deford packed a lot into each sentence and from a reader perspective it never seemed to flow easily. That said, upon completion you came away knowing that you had read something of substance and uniqueness.

I still keep a copy of the SI with his "Toughest Coach There Ever Was" on my desk and from time to time read a paragraph or two. By far my favorite all time sports story.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

One of my (non-journalism) friends told me in college he didn't like Sports Illustrated because he felt every story was the same. I told him to read "The Boxer and the Blonde" and "True to his Words" (the "Hurricane" Carter story by William Nack).

Two of my favorites I've ever read by two legends, as far as I'm concerned. And each was written entirely different, yet each was about a former boxer.

He came back saying, "OK, so Sports Illustrated <i>used</i> to be good."

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Deford's writing "never seemed to flow easily"? If you mean that it's unpredictable and lively and that almost every phrase is spot-on, yeah, I guess I'd have to agree.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just my observation, but you put it in a much clearer way. Deford stories are unpredictable and dynamic. You have to concentrate and stay on every word.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

A guy (one of the select few, I know) who
    actually likes my work put it a different way: "With your stuff, the reader has to to run under the pass".

Feel the same way about Deford. Love how
    the guy writes, and I'll read his non-fiction
    about topics I don't particularly care about,
    for that reason.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If this was mentioned already and I missed it or skimmed over it, I apologize, but it seemed clear to me reading this that it was an excerpt from Deford's memoirs, which I suspect he's writing, being in the autumn of his life and all. I think that's probably why it was interesting, but felt a bit off in tone. It lacked context. If this appears in a book in a year or two, it will make much more sense. And I suspect that's what will happen.

11. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I thought it was fine...his best work? No. But I'll agree with the earlier post...I'll take Deford off his game a bit over most other writers out there.

12. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Good point, and I do hope he is writing a memoir. Would love to read it. That, and Kindred's book about his days at the Post would be must-reads.

Draft saved Draft deleted