1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defending the Indefensible - Roman Polanski

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 1, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Polanski's overrated as a director if you ask me. This thing is just another case of people who normally wouldn't have a problem calling someone out for an impropriety - don't have a problem defending a friend or associate for the same impropriety.
    There is a reason Polanski hasn't been back in the U.S. That should have been a clue to his friends that he wasn't on the up and up. If he were - he would have come back and faced the music.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Plea bargains are made between the prosecution and the defense. The judge is under no obligation to accept the recommended sentence.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Come on, who among us hasn't .... wait, he did WHAT??? [/clueless Hollywood types]

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

He ALREADY pled guilty and has been convicted. They don't need her. There will be no trial, only a sentencing, the victim's testimony is not required for sentencing.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

If a broken plea deal was going to be so egregious, and the judge's imposed sentence so severe, Polanski would have had a great case for his appeal and, scumbag or not, probably would have turned some public sentiment in his favor.

If, you know, he hadn't vamoosed 30 years ago and thumbed his nose, kitty cat, at the legal system and most people's sense of justice.

6. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

STFU Harvey Weinstein

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/01/AR2009100104203.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

what a fuckin douchebag. Ya....Hollywood has the best moral compass my ass, just a bunch of saints out there. How did Polanski serve his time? He's been living in the South of France for 30 years.......if that's "justice", I'm gonna kill someone by noon.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Dan, I think that if he had never made another film before or after Chinatown, he'd still be considered one of the best directors ever.

I think it's one of the most underrated movies of the last fifty years.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This was so ridiculous, I thought I'd dig up this thread. Gore Vidal takes the lead in the most shameless excuse for Roman's drugging and anal rape of a 13-year-old girl.

She was a hooker. Also, he was really being put on trial for being Jewish. And by the way, it was a different time.

Or, so sayeth the man considered the greatest essayist of the 20th century.

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200910u/gore-vidal

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good gosh, that's horrific.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I hope she pulls a William F. Buckley and sues the hateful, rotten son of a bitch.

12. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Oh my god. Unfuckingbelievable. Gore Vidal. If she was such a hooker, why did he have to drug her?

Sort of interesting "did you know" fact: he's a cousin of Jimmy Carter.

Draft saved Draft deleted