1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defending the Indefensible - Roman Polanski

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Mahoney, as far as I know, hasn't been convicted of raping anyone.

The comparison of Polanski's treatment vs. pedophile priests is a fair one.

Polanski vs. Mahoney? Not so much.

Doesn't excuse what Mahoney has done, but it's not relevant to the discussion.

EDIT: And Whoppi Goldberg needs to stand in front of the victim and tell her she wasn't "rape raped." Better yet, tell her parents that, assuming they're still alive.

What a fucking piece of shit human being she is.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Polanski has a 16-year-old daughter.

I wonder if he would have approved of having some old guy play squeak monkey with her three years ago.

Or now.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

A couple of folks in Hollywood aren't on board with the point of view:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-polanski1-2009oct01,0,1755914.story

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Of course, if Whoopi Goldberg did that, the victim would probably wonder why she was addressing something the victim herself has said she's done with.

The plea deal was crap, but a deal's a deal. The judge tried to go back on it, which is against the rules with plea deals. There are no surprises allowed once the judge accepts the deal.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Whoopi should be ashamed of herself. Let her read the victims statements to the cops & then tell me it wasn't rape.

Fuck this guy and fuck the Catholic priests or anyone else who behaved in such a matter. I condemn them all and so should the Hollywood elite.

It's laughable that these idiots in Hollywood's letter objected to his arrest specifically because he was traveling to an International Film Festival when he was arrested. As if you should be free from arrest because you're an "artist" traveling to an event.

Yeah, that will have a chilling affect. Directors will not be able to drug and ass rape teenage girls without fear of retribution. Absolutely chilling.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's the producers you really have to worry about.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If somebody wants to argue based on that last part, I get it. I really do. But to say the case is too old or that he should be protected because of his accomplishments is disgraceful, and those both seem to be arguments coming out of Hollywood.

I guess I can understand justifying how he ran away from more jail time, but there is no justification for what Polanski did to that girl.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

great Chris Rock line about the Polanski case tonight on Leno. "Not even Johnnie Cochran had the gall to say, 'Did you see O.J. run against the Patriots?!?' "

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Can't he also be charged with flight?

10. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

You would think so. Will be interesting to see what happens. The girl.. who's now in her mid-40s... wants nothing to do with the case, as she apparently settled out of court with him. I don't see how they go to court without her.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

They don't need her, I thought, because he had already pleaded guilty.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why would she need to be involved? He admitted guilt and fled before sentencing. And she certainly wouldn't need to be involved in the flight case against him.

Draft saved Draft deleted