1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Defending Bush on social issues

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedSmithClone, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

There was no desire for bipartisanship in W's first six years in office. Now, he's forced to work with the Dems and he's looking for anything to give his miserable time in office some purpose. Stupid is as stupid does. His legacy is and will forever be Iraq.

Of course we'll all be dead when history thinks about this period so it doesn't matter.

Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Truman, Lincoln, FDR?

I don't think so.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That sounded spot-on, Crass. Why the sarcasm font?

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

This might be the least likely thread title in SportsJournalists.com history.

4. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

I blame the gays.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

I have a small nugget of sympathy for Bush because he was completely ill-equipped to handle 9/11. I know it's hard to think of anybody that could have, but this was a guy who had absolutely no clue about foreign policy. He was an education/passionate conservative President who was going to balance out Clinton's liberalism. Instead he got stuck with an incredibly complex, dangerous situation that was way beyond him.

I read an article a while back about our relative good luck as a country. We had George Washington as the first president, who refused to become King Washington; we had Lincoln for the Civil War; Roosevelt for WWII; Reagan for the Cold War; and for 9/11 we had...the ex-owner of the Texas Rangers.

It's a big what if as far as what kind of president he might have been without 9/11. There's no doubt what kind he is now -- at least to me.

EDIT: Oh, and I do agree with Bush regarding his immigration policy. There. I said something nice about him.

6. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Wait...Bush has an immigration policy?

This is news.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Nice strawman by the author. He is not "portrayed" by his opponents as being anything less than a rote incompetent who has not adequately been prepared for his office.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If someone from the Eagle Tribune could get the informatioin for a story, so could the Times, Post, CNN and the networks. The Bush administration could trumpet all they want, but the mainstream media is not going to go out of its way to give him credit for anything he may have accomplished ... even when it's something dear to the liberal heart, such as AIDS relief.
    The only way Bush would have gotten any props from these people is if he performed a laying on of hands and healed Barbaro's leg.

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

That's just not true. Some portray him as an idiot while others simply say he is evil and devilish. YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS. You can't be an evil genious and be a moron.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Evil genius? Oh, please. He would have to have something more than a childlike understanding of damned near any subject to be that.

He's not evil, he's mentally spun.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

evil moron

12. dog428

dog428 Active Member

This is hilarious. If I might borrow from Chris Rock ...

W's trying to help the homeless and stop genocide -- give that man a cookie.

Are we to give Bush credit for doing shit an ordinary person would just automatically do? Is this how far the expectations of the president of the United States have fallen?

Breaking news, fellas: When you're the leader of the free world, sending extra cash to try and stop millions of deaths in a foreign nation is something that sorta goes with the job. It's understood when you take the oath. As is doing all you can to shelter and feed the poor citizens of your country.

Son of a bitch, what's next? A story on how W always says thank you when someone holds the door for him?

Draft saved Draft deleted