1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Declassified report: Two nuclear bombs nearly wiped out North Carolina in 1961

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There were a number of incidents of "broken arrows" during the Cold War. There's still a nuke sitting at the bottom of the ocean off the Georgia coast from an incident in 1958. A B-47 collided with a fighter jet, and the bomber crew jettisoned the nuke to avoid detonation upon a crash landing. The nuke was never found.
    Two plane crashes, one in Spain and the other in Greenland, also led to actual detonations akin to setting off a dirty bomb.

2. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

I wanna say that prevailing winds are northwest in NC? I remember hearing something about it when learning about the Sharon Harris Nuclear plant that's southwest of Raleigh. If there was an explosion or something winds would take the fallout somewhere other than Raleigh. I might just be talking out of my ass.

3. snuffy2

snuffy2 Member

Had the paint melted off Dean's Sky Blue Cadillac, Jessie's bulbous eyes would have thankfully turned to glass marbles and been played in a six dollar downtown alley in Bluefield Honduras.

Draft saved Draft deleted